Roaring Forties #24

I thought it was about time I posted a few pictures. I will do this gradually. The first picture is the painted chassis. I painted it myself with a brush. This turned out not to be the best way to do it but all well that ends well, I guess. In the picture I had test fitted the suspension before most of the paneling was done. The suspension came off again while the panels were fixed. At this point I was ringing RF very regularly. The telephone support provided by everyone at RF has been well documented on the forum and is as good as people say it is.

Attachments

• 46427-PaintedChassis.jpg
    46427-PaintedChassis.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,208
Well the pictures work at least. Some time later some more of the paneling had been fitted and some of the functional bits, steering brakes and suspension were in place. Still asking lots of quesions, and getting lots of answers. Is starting to take shape a bit, at least it looks less like a bathtub than it did when the panels were all temporarily fitted.

Attachments

• 46430-ChassisSuspFr.JPG
    46430-ChassisSuspFr.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 722
John,
Lookin' good ! I like those dollys you have so you can roll the chassis around.
You need to get busy on that thing like a lizard drinkin' flat out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Hersh

I'm cheating a bit. These photographs are a couple of years old. I'll work through to the current situation over the next few days.

Regards

John

We move ahead to having the body on. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought this bit was hard. Its relatively easy to grab a drill and start making holes but its harder to be sure you have the parts in the right place.

Attachments

• 46487-BodyFrFront.JPG
    46487-BodyFrFront.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 704
RF were still getting a lot of calls at this stage too. These were being handled in the usual manner (really well). It was still the most difficult part from my point of view. Still all's well that ends well. An I think it did come out OK in the end.

Attachments

• 46488-BodyFrRear2.jpg
    46488-BodyFrRear2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 668
WOW!! Now that's progress! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I know what you mean about drillin' them holes John. It
seems to be going nicely now. Keep it up and you will be
dodging those speed cameras before you know it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Nice work John - it looks like you have a head of steam up, so it won't be long before you are agonising over paint colours !

We have 2 or 3 new owners here in Sydney with new or iminent rego, so we'll all soon be looking for an excuse for a drive. Canberra sounds like a good run !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Thanks Peter

Certainly, your welcome at my place anytime. Maybe we could meet half way. Mittagong or Berrima perhaps. I haven't been to Berrima since the hume highway bypass was finished.

I am hoping to be ready before christmas, but these days I don't worry about how long finishing it takes.

Rwgards

John

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Thanks John - Berrima sounds like a good spot to meet up, and there's alway the possibility of a drive thru Robertson / Kangaroo Valley to the coast - fun road !

Its also within affordable towing distance from home (not that I lack confidence in my wiring or anything) !!

Some time around Christmas is probably ideal - that should add 2 cars to a possible 5 that already have rego.

I'll keep in touch as things get closer.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

The next bits are inside views with the body and most of the panelling in place. By now I'm getting tired of cleaning the dust off everything. At least its starting to look like a car now.

Attachments

• 46696-InteriorPanelF.JPG
    46696-InteriorPanelF.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 727
And the engine bay. Still lots of work to do here, but it seems to be coming out OK.

Attachments

• 46700-EngineBay.JPG
    46700-EngineBay.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 771
Cool I didnt know RF offered side impact airbags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifLOL
Car looks great !

Hi Bill

At the front it will just have sealant between the spider and the chassis rails.

At the rear there are 2 different types of rubber seals between the aluminium firewall panel and the spider.

On the sides there is a simple edge strip on the metal panels which seals against the fibreglass.

At the top there is a larger pinchweld seal (a bit like a door seal). This fits on the firewall panel like the sides. The only real difference is that it is larger so that it can fit into a recess which is in the bottom edge of the spider. The recess is to allow the rollbar, which is part of the chassis, to fit into the top of the spider.

I hope that makes sense

Regards

John

Thanks Dan. Yes the green air bags are the high performance ones. Don't settle for the white ones.

John

rbrunckhorst

The exhaust system is ceramic coated (jethot etc.). Its supposed to limit the heat radiation from the exhaust. It seems to help a bit with the temps under the rear clip but it's not as good as I would like.

Regards

John

Back