Roaring Forties Australian GT40 Replica Saga 1/2 Million USD Gone - Final Report?

Hi Ian yep its nut and bolt a copy of the 67-F1, i must admit to taking inspiration from your car to build the Brabham, but that was all. mr logan has been to see me trying to pinch ideas etc but fortunately i had no cars in the shed at the time, and my memory was a bit vague as well, lol.
BTW he did tel me he tried to buy the design off you but his story was you wanted to much for it, so he decided to just rip you off instead.
i am watching it locally with interest so will keep you all informed if you wish.
cheers John
he generously offered to pay me absolutely nothing up front and then an amount per car as and when he sold any - not the most generous offer I've ever received and given his well known lack of business ethics / commercial abilities I chose to decline :) here is a copy of my final email to him feb 2014 which he obviously read as ' please feel free to just rip off my design and do whatever you want '

Robert

Simply not interested in ongoing royalty based arrangements - if you're serious about this then it shouldn't come as a surprise that I might want to be paid something for granting you sales rights to a product that has a significant investment in both time and money , otherwise its little more than an exercise in trust / potential plagiarism from afar once the first car is delivered .

Might sound harsh but as a design based company I have a great deal of experience of others that seem to consider someone else's work as free reign to copy / slightly modify and call their own , its unfortunate but nonetheless true .

If you want to make a serious business proposition then I will give you as much help and support as I can , but sending out product for you to copy and reproduce on the basis that you might then pay an amount per car sold doesn't exactly fill me with warm thoughts :)

Best regards

Ian

“The first car has taken me more than 4000 hours to date, and about $200,000, but this is the prototype and costs much more.” says Logan.

$200,000 is about a third of what he owes people that he shafted.​

What's the name of this new company so that we can all play along?

Here is where it all started back in the day.....

Hi Ron, check his FB announcement today.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
While ya dere
A9761051-A247-4797-8373-F04C35B4BCE5.png

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What the hell ???????????? I as others here contributed to the legal fund many years ago against this guy, with no results. Why is he still allowed to trade in Australia and the world after screwing so many people ?

Regards Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
I plan to write up a brief history of the Roaring Forties demise and post it in the All GT40 subforum. I don't know how many of us customers from that original debacle are still around and active. Probably not very many. But nevertheless, I created this forum to learn about GT40s and serve as a repository for information about them. I feel it'd be remiss to not educate younger or newer members to GT40s.com about the situation.

I plan to write up a brief history of the Roaring Forties demise and post it in the All GT40 subforum. I don't know how many of us customers from that original debacle are still around and active. Probably not very many. But nevertheless, I created this forum to learn about GT40s and serve as a repository for information about them. I feel it'd be remiss to not educate younger or newer members to GT40s.com about the situation.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I plan to write up a brief history of the Roaring Forties demise and post it in the All GT40 subforum... I feel it'd be remiss to not educate younger or newer members to GT40s.com about the situation.

Maybe make it a sticky in this section?

I would have probably kept out of this conversation until I read this:

"Logan now operates from his garage, after closing down the Roaring Forties company that built some of the world’s best GT40 re-creations, although he is plugged into a vast network of suppliers and experts in Melbourne and is ready to go with a factory plan if his car is a hit. "

Quoted from the article linked in an above post, http://www.drivingandlife.com/2019/...wRDpSkqsbLlP3tUb-bJhwuBRadukmlB1ObPZ_s2oS07uM.

The quote makes it read (to me) as if he just casually closed down his business because he had something else to do. I find that to be disingenuous. This is not to say that he can never try to start and run a business ever again, but he has an uphill battle in this neighborhood. Buyer beware.

Maybe make it a sticky in this section?

I would have probably kept out of this conversation until I read this:

"Logan now operates from his garage, after closing down the Roaring Forties company that built some of the world’s best GT40 re-creations, although he is plugged into a vast network of suppliers and experts in Melbourne and is ready to go with a factory plan if his car is a hit. "

Quoted from the article linked in an above post, http://www.drivingandlife.com/2019/...wRDpSkqsbLlP3tUb-bJhwuBRadukmlB1ObPZ_s2oS07uM.

The quote makes it read (to me) as if he just casually closed down his business because he had something else to do. I find that to be disingenuous. This is not to say that he can never try to start and run a business ever again, but he has an uphill battle in this neighborhood. Buyer beware.
phillipislandracecars.com

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good idea on the Sticky Chris... Ron can un-stick it when he's ready...

Is this really him posting as bold as brass on the aussie GT40 page?....Does he think he's just going to start up again ripping people off? e gods!

Ron Earp

Admin
That is Mr. Logan on the Aussie GT40 page. And I can tell by some of the names there that there isn't a lot of cross-pollination between users of that FB page and this site. I suspect users of that FB page would like to interact with the GT40s.com community.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I remember everything! He F'ed you and dozens of others way back when and I have forever been inspired by your doggedness with keeping up this forum when many others would have just walked away from the hobby after such an experience.

For those who are post-logan much of the first few years on this forum was first news on the pretty good RF40 and then its demise in the hands of r logan. The short story was dozens of buyers lost deposits on up to completely paid for cars that were never delivered. Not one or two but dozens from all over the world, far east, the US, and Europe as well as South Africa and others.

It was horrible to watch and I am sure set back many people's plans to even consider cars such as these. I surprised someone didn't.......................well you know.

You guys down under should make it a hobby to alert your neighbors to r. logan and his history.

Did that article say he is looking to get 650K for one of his cars?! If true, good luck with that.
He compares the F5000 car as too expensive, hell you could buy just about ANY car on an F5000 vintage grid for less than that. In most cases WAY less than that.

Read posts # 37 & 38, I dont think the guy has picked up a spanner or drawn a plan of his own for the cars, just a shark who has pinched ideas from others all along, nobody has told me yet what happened to the Dave Brown Mono chassis that he was said to have got during the original Roaring Forties, Sth Africa shambles. Bit hard to read between the lines and work out whether there is a 'factory' or they just reside in his garage under the house. The biggest trick we/you could play would be to whip up a few lookalikes and flood his market, like RCR are advertising to do. Only thing is Covid is going to add expense to any ideas along that line for the immediate future. '' Dont get Mad, get even!!!

I also remember the whole torrid saga very well, especially when he clearly lied continually and took £10k of my hard earned cash as deposit money. I only got around £1000 back after the dust had settled. The customer group then had a few legal fees but that action amounted to little. Thankfully RCR stepped in with a very decent offer and I now have a superb GT40 in the garage here in U.K.
If Logan had any backbone he would settle his debts before embarking on any other projects. The best we can do therefore is ensure that any new customers of his are perfectly aware of his background.

Back