Roll Bar Race Cam 'by Sandy Ganz"

This “How To” is for a roll bar camera mount project submitted by Sandy Ganz.

This project was thought of after I purchased a roll bar mount from I/O Port Racing supplies
for a bit over 100 bucks. I had one of their other mounts for a camcorder, but it produced poor video with the Chascam style bullet (Lipstick) cameras. The urethane shock absorber was not needed as well as the large articulating mount. I ordered one of the simple fixed mounts, and by the time I had got it, I had already decided just to make my own. The one that I made was with some similar style parts as the roll bar fire extinguisher mount. I used a
LARGER pipe clamp in the event I still wanted to mount a cam corder. It is also higher up off the bar which was desirable. The last part of the equation was the Ball Head mount. The I/O Port mount used a nice solid mount, and I would have nothing less. So Below is the parts and assembly. Enjoy and save some money.

P1010607.JPG

The finished and installed view of the camera mount in the Mustang (The Ripper). The 2 cameras are mounted with aircraft clamps to a section of aluminum angle. The mic is mounted under both in the front and wrapped with some old headphone foam to keep the wind out. Small clamps keep the wires from flapping, and worse ripping out of the camera.
These are the 3 candidates for the Ball Head (That's the technical term). They are from left to right, Giottos, Novoflex, and Panavise. I had the highest hopes for the Novoflex, and Giottos, and not much for the Panavise. When I received then them, I was suprised. The Panavise was the best due to all metal construction, and being a bit taller. The Novoflex was nice, and held very well, but the locking screw was plastic. Same for the Giottos. Both would work fine, and look 'Cool' but we were also about not having a problem with cameras coming loose.

P1010611.JPG

Another shot of the 3 heads. The Panavise is very inexpensive and by the way the easiest to get. The Giottos and the Novoflex would work great and I will use them for single camera mounts. Hey, I already have them, so it is a good excuse to get more cameras! The cost of them is - Panavise $16 (Made a mistake on paper) Giottos $10 (Made a mistake on paper) Novoflex $45 Panavise wins for best all around head, low price, heavy duty, Giottos was very inexpensive, and Novoflex was the best looking, and made well.

P10105962.JPG

Here is a view of the Pipe Isolators (clamps) as from McMaster Carr. The Black one is the heavy duty versions, and the green is the standard duty that I have used also for the fire extinguisher mounts. The Heavy duty mounts come with some thick steel and larger bolts as well. The nice thing about the heavy duty version is the height is a bit taller off the bar as well as being wider which makes the mount easier for the wider base that the ball heads require. Either will work just Jim Dandy.

P10105912.JPG

2 Aluminum plates were made out of 3/16" 6061-T6511 plate, same as the fire extinguisher mount. The bottom plate is about the same length and width as the plastic part of the mount. The top mount is a bit wider to support 4 tapped holes for cable clamps and the safety wire lock. The Panavise mount was opened and the bottom is mounted to the plate. This is done with a 1/4" counter sink Allen head. PLEASE USE LOCKTITE. One other thing you may need is a counter sink tool that is the correct size for the head of the socket head used.

P10106022.JPG

Things mounted up. The 4 corners have stainless button head Allen bolts which will be used for cable clamps. The one with the red connector is a safety cable that most sanctioned racing will require, just made it with some stainless cable and strong electrical crimps. Also you can see the change in bolts, I picked up some stainless bolts that were long enough to be used with locking nuts. The I/O Port fixed mount can be seen in the pile of parts in the back.

P10106032.JPG

Now with the cameras mounted for a trial fit. Another shot with the safety cable. The Actual video cameras were mounted on a 1" Aluminum Angle with a couple of Aircraft Adel Clamps that I had for years. McMaster-Carr has them also in Stainless and Aluminum as well as a couple of styles. One side was slotted in an arc to allow one camera to move up and down for added adjustments. The mic is a Sony stereo condenser mic that I picked up from Amazon or eBay as I recall. You MUST have a foam wind screen or the audio will be unusable from wind in an open window car. Mic just mounts in a Adel clamp.

P1010605.JPG

Mounted in the Mustang (The Ripper). Orange tape on one of the lipstick cameras is to remind me that this is the Narrow field of view, and the other is the Wide Field. The cameras were from DataToys, from their site - DT-CAME580 Sony Helmet Camera 580 line ultimate CCD "Bullet Cam" These were a bit less priced than the ChaseCam, and likely the same when all said and done. But what is really different are the connectors. The DataToys camera uses a screw to lock connector. Better than the simple push in mini-din, and same for extension cables. You then need a simple adapter to RCA and power to the ChaseCam Recorder.

P1010606.JPG

Another angle that shows the finished project. The cable clamps are mandatory to keep cables from shaking and breaking out of the back of the bullet cameras. The cameras are mounted to a small piece of angle aluminum that allows one camera to be pitched independently. The camera that is pointing down is the WIDE angle view, the one more level is the narrow field view. Stereo mic is under the wide view, and wrapped with some old headphone foam to keep the wind out. The foam trick works well, and does not mess with the music of the engine.

Other info can be found on Sandy's web site www.gtsparkplugs.com

MCM Electronics Part Numbers
#82-3865 Panavise about 16 Bucks

OR ALTERNATE BALL HEADS

Adorama Part Numbers
GTBHMI Giottos MH1004 about 10 bucks
NVBHN19 Novoflex Neiger 19 about 45 bucks

Other Stuff
3/16" T6061-T6511 (or T6) plate.
Washers, Nylocks for mount, cable clamps.
Adel Clamps
Cameras DataToys, ChaseCam, what ever.
Microphone
Small Angle to mount the cameras on.

McMaster-Carr Part Numbers
P/N 3249T111
Description : Heavy Duty Single Line Damping Vibration Clamp
Weld-Mount, Zinc-Plated Steel, for 1-3/4" Tube OD
About $12.00 Each, 1 required

P/N 92198A642
18-8 SS Hex Head Cap Screw 3/8"-16 Thread, 4-1/2" Length
About $5 for pack of 5.
Note : 4-3/4" might be better. Also I used 3/8" diameter instead of 7/16"
to provide more room for the corner tapped holes.

P/N 91253A542 (Holds ball mount to top plate)
Alloy Steel Flat Head Socket Cap Screw 1/4"-20 Thread, 1" Length,
Black Oxide
About $9 per Pack of 50, might find them at local hardware store in
lower qty.

Last edited:
Back