Round Fog lights

Steve

Supporter
This is a shout out to those of you with SPF GT40's with round fog lights. Any regrets on this choice? I know it results in the low beams doing double duty as blinkers but any issues otherwise? The lights on these cars are not overly powerful and I thought the round fog lights might add a bit more. Plus I like the way they look.

Secondly, does anyone have the rear clam connected by 2 pins rather than one? Any pros or cons with this?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
How are you planning on mounting them? I like them too but it looks like it would take some work to modify the housing to be able to run them.

Steve

Supporter
Sorry Mike, I probably wasn't clear. I'm referring to the factory option of the round foglights instead of the rectangular ones that you have. I think Mike Murphy and a few others have the round foglights on theirs, which would be like the John Wyer/Gulf cars. I'm wondering if there are any issues with this option or regrets from those who have gone this route.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have a customer with an SPF MK I that has converted from the turn signal/square lamp to the round units. It can be done but Steve is looking at his choices for his chassis still in the build line.

Speaking of the round fogs... I'm building my rcr40 and want to fit the rounds. Does anyone know the units to use???

Me too.

Weren't the originals something like 5.75 inch SEV Marchals? There used to be a guy in Israel that had them on eBay, but I haven't seen any in years.

If anyone has a line on them, PM me. I'd like a set with mounting brackets...just want to be Gulf correct.

Don't want to hijack the thread..PM Steve and Mike, too.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,
The front shot of Fran Kress's number 54 car always impresses me.
It all depends on whether your local law requires an indicator and where you want to fit them.
On my car I have decided to fit smaller amber indicators into my lower pods adjacent to the round fogs. (the usual Lucas units are too big). Our other car has Lucas indicators in the usual place for a Gulf car.

The original round units were made by Cibie.
Check out the sponsorship story on the Wyer Gulf cars.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/26363-mirage-automotive-jimmymac-alistairs-cars-22.html

Attachments

• Cibie Fittings 01.jpg
    Cibie Fittings 01.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Cibie 5.75 inch.jpg
    Cibie 5.75 inch.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
I have the round "Le Mans" factory fog lights. Love the look and the functionality. I don't know how well the rectangular ones work, but the round ones are great in terms of helping to light up the road. Like on some race cars, my shop added a very small (maybe one inch diameter) but very bright amber light right next to the fog light to serve as a turn signal. You can barely see the additional turn signal when not in use, but it absolutely does the job. Easy to add. I'll look for a photo...

- Jeff

Jammin',
This is what I'm using on my RCR....Long Range, Center-Weighted Beams. They are CIBIE IGM units and they are bright! Kinda like aircraft taxi/landing light bright...so should get people's attention on the highway even in the daytime. I never liked the look of the rectangular lamp and question their effectiveness. I believe the round lights add to the appeal of the car (form) and actually work quite well (function) considering it has to pierce through a polycarbonate cover.

I am able to squeeze in a small amber turn signal unit on the upper corner, which works with the side marker so I can signal my intent from the front and sides.

Attachments

• Aux_light_Comp.jpg
    Aux_light_Comp.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 472

Steve

Supporter
Thanks for all the tips. Jeff-great looking car. Do you know what LED indicator you used? I like that it's subtle and avoids using the low beams. Probably a modification I can do myself.

Back