Saw my first Lola T70 last weekend !!! Shame it crashed....

The annual historic race meeting was held at my local racetrack last weekend. The highlight was undoubtedly the appearance of a Lola T70. I've always wondered how they'd look (and sound) blasting around a racetrack, and now I know. I WANT ONE !!!

In the last race, the owner spun the car in a farily low speed corner and was T-boned by similar vintage V8 open wheeler. Such a shame to see two beautiful cars damaged. It leaves me in two minds about historic racing. Nice to see the cars out on the track, but it tears me apart to see original pieces of the cars destroyed. Sure - you can fit replacement parts, but then the car loses a little of it's soul. That's the way I look at it anyway.

The owner had the Lola T70, GT40 #1109, Porsche RSR, Ferrari 365(?), Ford RS200 Gp B racer, and I believe he drove them all himself. No wonder he crashed towards the end of the meeting, he must have been worn out from all that driving !!!
10122Lola_T70.jpg
10122Lola_T70_crash2.jpg

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
A real one is a bit expensive craig but one of the guys on the forum is setting up to make replicas of the T70 and I think they will be very special I saw that one on the weekend also --FANBLOODYTASTIC Denis

MDA Cars are now buliding the Lola T70 3B replica so I hope the owner can go to a parts source to fix the car.

My heart bleeds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris
RCR

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
US built Lola T70 Mk3B replica

There will be an affordable US built Lola T70 Mk3B replica being unveiled very shortly......built by Classic V8 Legends.....I currently have FOUR cars being assembled...first one already SOLD and will be delivered very soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Re: US built Lola T70 Mk3B replica

Long time, no see, Denis ! Here's an interesting V12 powered T70 for sale http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/for_sale/LolaT70_F.html
I bet an enterprising fella such as yourself could knock one of these together, couldn't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran - very interesting ! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for more news about the replicas. Are they being built as right or left hand drive?

Re: US built Lola T70 Mk3B replica

Fran,

It's about time you came out of the closet with your T70! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When do we get to see some more photos?

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Re: US built T70 Mk3B replica

Pictures and more info very soon.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The cars are being built with same premise in mind as the original....no frills,no extras.
The only options available will be right or left hand drive.
Iron block 350 Chevy or aluminum Gen 111 small block Chevy engine mounts.
Transaxle is Porsche G50.
Thats all for now folks......hope that whets your appetite.

SOB now I'm going to have to sell the 40. What the F--K it just got the paint on it. Oh well the Lola is one of my favorites.
PS hey Craig hope all's well.
John

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor

John....go on spoil yourself ....have both ,
You know you deserve it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hell yes I do. You know your a pretty smart man. PM me and I'll give you the my phone number so you can tell the wife how much I really should have both and if she REALLY loved me not only would I have both but she'd help with the sanding this time. I'll wait to hear from you.
John

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor

Buddy..you are in luck....no sanding needed.That way you can convince her what a deal you can get by ommitting her part of the labor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

John, If she really loves you she will get another job to help pay for them. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford

Fran I have a friend who says he needs one also and he wants me to build it for him please keep me informed on the progress we would require a body and chassis I am sure someone else overhere would like one to help fill the container- Denis

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor

Denis,
No problem I would be glad to provide you and anyone else with their dream car.
Just keep in touch and let me know when your customer is ready to fulfill his fantasy.
Rgds

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor

Hi Johan,
lots of progress.
I have been very busy getting a car ready for delivery and also hard at work on the monocoque chassis and a new billet rear upright along with new castings for the front also.
The monocoque may soon be the only chassis available due to its super quality and effectiveness.
The website will be up and running very soon......watch this space..
Rgds
Fran

Frans T70 is the only one for me. It is the only one that i have, at present, come across that has been technically thought through and i think any prospective purchasers of other manufactures of the T70 Mk3B should really be very wary and do their homework very carefully.
I have no ties with Fran but i have been privy to what he is doing and his whole approach to construction is very, very professional.He does what it says on the label...

Graham @ GTA Racing.

Ron Earp

Admin

Fran, do you have some pics you'd like me to host or put up for you? If we have enough interest we'll make a t70 group here.

I am ready for one and have been looking pretty hard. I have made offers on three of them. If you have pictures and specifications, I would be interested. I have several Hewland gearboxes.

And now a strange but interesting question is a Lola quicker than a GT40 ?
The T70 is a light car compared with GT40s which have difficulties to weight less than 100O kg ( MK I ). And they seem more modern with their semi alloy monocoque but the period race results show that GT40s took a large advantage.
Is it due to perfect preparation of the cars by the works or semi works teams at that time ?

Back