side window bonding

Having trimmed side windows to shape I have decided to bond them in rather than rivet or screw them down. Adhesive has been ordered and alls nearly ready .I now need to put a black line arround the side windows to cover any irregularities in the adhesive /paint cover.
Does anyone know of a suitable paint/coating that can be painted on to the perspex to achieve this and has anyone else opted for this method of fixing

3M makes an auto glass primer. PPG also. Its a flat black Urethane based primer that goes around the edge of the glass. 3M 08681 125ml 3M 08682 30ml Single Step Primer. When you apply it do not get it on your skin wear gloves.
Dave

Huw

Over many years working in the display industry, the painting or screen printing of 'perspex' acrylic, pvc and polycarbonate could always present problems; by attacking the surface to cause wrinkling of the 'paint',clouding of the material, poor adhesion or stress cracking.

I would recomend that you get some off cuts of the exact material the window is made from and do some tests. You could try spraying screenprint ink from an airbrush, Sericol inks or a local screenprint firm could help with a choice of ink type and surface preparation.

Regards

Steve

I used Sika Primer 206 and it is still looking good. I lightly sanded the window, masked the area and then painted it wth a small brush. Works well.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I did mine using standard SEK "trim black" paint (Dupont is good also) using a brush as Johan did. On the inside surface it will look rough, but from the outside it will look perfect. I did not sand or roughen the plastic before painting.

Steve B give a wise caution against using screen-printing inks, as they can easily attack the edges and cause severe cracking, which sometimes takes a few days to appear.

Johan,

I remember you had more detailed information about your side window and light cover bonding. I don´t find it quick. may be you can post it.

Thanks
TOM

Johan,

I remember you had more detailed information about your side window and light cover bonding ( which by the way looks great)I don´t find it quick. may be you can post it.

Thanks
TOM

I forgot about the PlasticTrim Paints (vinyl paints)as per Marks post. They should work also as they were designed for interior trim parts. They bond well with no reaction. You do not have to scuff the surface area just make sure it's clean. I would suggest using a matt finish, no semi or high gloss. These paint's come in a spray can so you will have to mask for over spray and do not apply it too thick.
Dave

Back