Signals

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Ideas are welcome re signal activation. I want to use ground switches on the steering wheel to activate the signal relay. just have to make the rotating brush asy under the quick release.

Attachments

• GOPR0534.JPG
    GOPR0534.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 306
  • GOPR0533.JPG
    GOPR0533.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 330

Neil

Supporter
Bill;

On my street car I used a trick to run the wire from the horn button on the steering wheel down the inside of the column: I used a 1/4" phone plug and jack in the hub to make a removable connection. The plug was mounted in the center of the steering wheel and, when installed, it mated with a phone jack that I mounted in the center of the steering column. I ran the wires through the column down to a hole in the side where it looped around a couple of times so that the wires were not pulled tight at the stops. If you need two wires plus ground, use a stereo 1/4" phone plug & jack.

The coaxial arrangement allows the steering wheel to be put on in any orientation.

Neil

Supporter
These photos may be easier to understand than my description. :)

Attachments

• Steering Wheel.jpg
    Steering Wheel.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Steering Column Horn Socket.jpg
    Steering Column Horn Socket.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 315
  • Steering Wheel Horn Plug.jpg
    Steering Wheel Horn Plug.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 322

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Bin looking at your system for a bit now, thanks Neil. My steering shaft is solid and I would have to get the wires through the QR and would have to drill down about 3 inches and exit the shaft to a coil or a form of clock spring, a lot of work. Still thinking?????????

Neil

Supporter
You can save quite a bit of weight by using tubing instead of a solid rod. Most of the stiffness comes from the very outside of a rod anyway.

Back