Size makes a difference?

Gentlemen ( and ladies ),

If one were shopping for a GT and happened to be 6'5" tall, what would that person's options be?

Is the RCR the only car a 6'5" tall person could fit in?

:D :D

Ron Earp

Admin
You can fit in all of them.

All the makers have dropped floor, dropped seat, and Gurney bubble options. The cars that don't follow the typical pinched off side and narrow footwell you'll have more room in (RF, RCR, Tornado come to mind) you'll have more room in, but you'll fit in all of them with some accommodations that all the manufacturers will be happy to help you with.

I'm six two and pretty long in the body but fit in my CAV (without the drop floor option) no problem. There are some tricks to gain a little more room....dropped floors, lean the seat back a bit further, take out the slider rails on the seat and bolt it directly to the floor (adjusted for you, of course). I think I've even seen some folks mention taking out some of the padding in the seat....that seems a bit extreme given how hard most gt40s seats are anyway. But, with some of these tricks at your disposal, like Ron says, you'll fit fine in most without a helmet.

I have the new BDR GT (CAV / built for Backdraft) it has the lower floor pan & adjustable seats. My friends father drove the car & he is 6'3" with no problem. The foot pedals are also adjustable . My GT does not have the Gurney buble but that is also a factory option. I looked @ SPF before my purchase & their is much more interior space in my car . You also don't have to remove the steering wheel to get in & out as needed on the SPF.:thumbsup:

I could not fit in the SPF. I tried two different times and sat with my head sideways both times.

Very uncomfortable.

I have talked with Fran and he assured me I would fit in the RCR.

I am looking at them all to get what I want.

:D

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey I feel for you!

I did the same thing - tried numerous cars and could not fit comfortbly.

And i'm 6'3" with a 33 inch inseam. Back then I was at / over 300lbs! (And a bit of a diet makes it easier to get in and out!)

I tried Tornado and on a standard seat on runners was looking out over the windscreen head through door opening and not possible to close the door. Without the runners I could sit reasonably comfortably but the pedals on this car were far too close for me to use (They were set for about 6 foot) Without the seat and sitting on the floor I could have driven but not comfortably - a small bit of fiberglass would have been enough to old the hips!

I have been a passenger in GTD and my foot ended up behind the clutch pedal (Steering wheel on RHS) - made changing gears difficult for the driver! And in that situation I could not get any bend in my knees as they were already permanently attached to the dashboard and my head attached to the roof - seat was on runners

Then I tried a KVA done by Chris Edwards and with legs straight forward I could kust reach he pedals - door closed no problem and no Gurney bubble. Bit then Chris must be about 6'5" and made the car fit bu relocating the rack andremoving seat rails. Yes there was a bit of repannelling etc but it is all possible.

Eventually I got offered a part built DAX - a real rare beast - they made about 30 cars and only about 10 completed the DAX is axtually about 41.5 inches tall as DAX decided the average human had grown over a generation and added the extra inch. It is difficult to see unless you know it's there! Inside it is designed around my needs and is comfortable up to a constant 4 hour drive back from Le Mans this year.

I have also heard the Fran's cars are bigger than most and he assured me I would get into his - bt the DAX came up and was local! (and a better price as it came with engine and box)

Dan Gurney was over 6'2" and raced successfully in originals and SPF is supposedly a continuation so up to this height should be easily do-able - remember it is built up to your specifications. But then again don't expect your 5 foot 0 wife to be able to drive it with it set for you!

So from this I would summise thatyes you will be able to get into any car and depending onhow much work and adjusting you are prepared to do can make the car an extremely comfortably driving machine

Ian

Back