SLC - 3 point retractable belts

Not really wanting seat belts laying all over the cabin. Has anyone installed retractables in an SLC, if so what belts were used and how was the shoulder bracket attached to the roll cage?

Pictures?

Thanks!

I used Corvette C5 belts in my GTM. They look "cleaner" than the race harnesses, and fit the look of my interior a little better. The thing to watch out for when using them, is that they MUST be mounted at specific angles. By this, I mean that the retractor has to tilt towards the rear and towards the outside simultaneously. I was fortunate enough to know a larts genius who had already thought through the mounting requirements for the GTM. I BOUGHT A SET OF HIS BRACKETS, and they work fine.

You would have to run a trial and error process until you find the compound angle that lets the retractor wind in and out freely. When you find that, the retractor ballancer will cause the roller to lock under heavy braking, preventing the webbing from moving, and holding you in place. If you're interested, I'll send some pictures later tonight.

Mike

"You don't know what you don't know"
Thanks for filling in some of the unknowns.

It would be an advantage not to have to sort out 4 point belts when one enters and exits the car. Although I can't make too much of a science project out of this as the need to possibly weld a boss on the cage at shoulder height is keeping me from final install of the spyder.

I'll send you a PM
Cheers

One set from Sparco I had my eye on for the SLC, and used in another car I built, is a 4 point, but has a latch buckle that fastens like a regular seat belt. Might be an option for you also since you can get in and out of them quickly and don't constantly have to explain how they work, lol.

Sparco Racing Street 4 Point Bolt in 2" Seat Belt Harness Black | eBay

I almost got them, but at last second last night decided to go with an FIA approved set of 6 point with cam lock. Will take awhile to get in and out, but I figured by the time you think you should have bought something robust, it's a bit too late.
I do plan to remove the large name badges on them though so they appear plain by cutting the thread holding them on.

"You don't know what you don't know"
Thanks for filling in some of the unknowns.

It would be an advantage not to have to sort out 4 point belts when one enters and exits the car. Although I can't make too much of a science project out of this as the need to possibly weld a boss on the cage at shoulder height is keeping me from final install of the spyder.

I'll send you a PM
Cheers

The shoulder mounts for the GTM are already welded in place on the frame. So I didn't have to worry about that. These pictures show how the 3 point belts are mounted and anchored. I'm sure that a similar set up is possible in the SLC.

I went with the C5 OEM belts, for the range of movement with the belts, as well as the locking functionality during hard or panic stops.

As well, I know my wife well enough to know that she wouldn't ride with me very long if she had to deal with harnesses. So I figured it was worth figuring out how to make the OEM belts work.

Mike

It has been brought to my attention and in my opinion 3 point belts leave the driver vulnerable to submarining due to reclined seat position of the SLC. Please understand todays modern cars use 3 point seat belts in conjunction with airbags.Your upper torso will rotate being unsupported evenly with a single shoulder belt. For proper driver protection in the unthinkable situation a 5 or 6 point harness is a must for an SLC.

Back