SLC CF Ventilated Engine Cover?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Let me start by saying that I am an ex-Lotus Esprit S1 owner and I am paranoid about engine bay heat.

The back of the rear deck lid of the SLC is open and should vent heat just fine. However, heat rises and with the stock SLC engine bay cover there is no place for it to vent when the car is not moving. I am fortunate to have some very talented friends who know about forming custom CF and fiberglass parts. What I am contemplating is forming a CF engine bay cover with ventilation panels made of expanded stainless steel. The CF openings will be relieved (rolled edges) where the stainless vents are located. For those familiar with a Lotus Exige it would be very similar.

I am wondering if others would be interested because we can either make a one-off part or we can make a mold and form multiple parts.

I have contemplated other venting designs such as raised vents in the cover - similar to a louvered deck lid but I think something that conforms to the body lines would look better.

Thoughts - interest?

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Here is the engine cover of a Lotus Exige. I am contemplating something like this though the vent shapes may be different to better match the contours of the SLC.

EFNFAST - that is definitely an option, just not what I am personally looking for.

Dave L

Attachments

• 2008_lotus_exige_20205875-T.jpg
    2008_lotus_exige_20205875-T.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 2010_lotus_exige_s_geneva_1.jpg
    2010_lotus_exige_s_geneva_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 334
Hmmm, I dunno, something about the exige's back just doesn't flow for me - kind of looks like somebody just slapped it on there without much thought *shrug*

This looks like it flows much better =)

DSCF0608.JPG

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I agree about the Exige. My plan is to redesign the vent pattern/layout to better fit the SLC. The challenge with the F40 style deck is that on the F40 it is "basically" a flat piece while the SLC rear deck lid has some major curves. Not that it couldn't be formed, I just think the look would be totally different.

Obviously, I need to get a prototype made up so folks can see what I'm talking about.

Dave L

I would have thought venting issues would have been incorporated in the original design. Seems strange to me that everyman and his dog are now redesigning the SLC kit!

Hi Dave, if you knows the esprits S1, so have a look at the turbo esprits!
I have a car like this, the charger glows cherryred, but if you are in move, there is no problem.
The air enters in naca ducts on each side and goes out throw the back.

Hope this helps a little!

Greez, Mike S

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave, if you knows the esprits S1, so have a look at the turbo esprits!
I have a car like this, the charger glows cherryred, but if you are in move, there is no problem.
The air enters in naca ducts on each side and goes out throw the back.

Hope this helps a little!

Greez, Mike S

Mike - Thanks for the input. You are correct that the Turbo Esprits had much better engine bay venting that the S1. I'm not too worried about cooling when the car is moving - its more when sitting in traffic or after a hot run. Under a closed deck the engine/fuel/wiring, etc. just sit there and cook. I'm just looking for an elegant way to vent that heat out of the engine bay.

Regards,
Dave L

Well, if you can come up with some way to do something similar to an f40 (i.e., slotted lexan), let me know, I'd definitely be interested in that.

I suppose another solution would be just to have no rear lexan/glass in place. Enginebay might get a bit dirty, but atleast it'd have plenty of room to breath :D

Incorporate a scoop for fresh air to an IC that may even double as a fresh air intake for you boingers and I'd consider it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• GTW008.jpg
    GTW008.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • GTW017.jpg
    GTW017.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 976

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
A few thoughts -

I'm stating the obvious here but everyone has their own sense of style and no engine cover design is going to appeal to everyone. I really appreciate all of the different ideas. My personal goal is to keep the design simple, functional and in keeping with the sleekness of the SLC body. I don't plan on doing fans - too much weight and takes away from the idea of keeping things simple. I wouldn't mind doing Lexan if I could come up with a vent design that I think would look good - so far I haven't been able to come up with one that "I" like - the challenge is the curvature of the cover. If anyone has a design specific to the SLC they like please post a picture or drawing. Though the design I have in mind doesn't involve Lexan, it may still offer some "glimpses" of the engine through the cover. No big scoops for me - sorry RX-Heven - though I plan to use the roof scoop to feed the engine bay on my car.

I'm close to starting on the prototype and here is my plan - it may work for some of you. CF structure with polished stainless steel vent material that is open enough to see through (obviously, not as transparent as Lexan). I'll be laying out the vent design this weekend and I'll post a picture or two.

Regards,
Dave L

Back