SLC Modular Stereo Option - Pioneer DMH-C2250NEX

Joel K

Supporter
I started looking for stereo options for the SLC. The two I had in mind were an Android Head Unit or the Alpine iLX-W650. I found this one from Pioneer, A modular design where you can use up to a 5ft Cable separating the head unit from the touch screen.The screen is 1” thick and 6.8” diagonal Which I think will fit in the dash well. It does android and Apple CarPlay and a whole host of features. The only complaint from reviewers is the screen is not HD, but other that that they really liked it. It’s about $400. Has 50W x 4 channel with a sub pre-amp output.

Here is a review…

This shows the modular design…
D0B8D4FF-7DEE-474A-ADCC-A507C664A823.jpeg

Joel K

Supporter
This unit is looking more and more like the winner. It can also be connected to the ODB2 port and display telemetry info from the ECU. Super nice!

On a closer look, this unit Doesn’t simply connect to any ECU, it is designed to connect to a fully functioning ECU and Body control module for a specific car. My guess is you could use apple car play or android Auto and display ECU gauges that way. I’ve ordered this so I’ll do a more in depth review at some point.

Good to know, I'm looking at upgrading the unit in the daily driver. wanted something with wireless apple car play.
would be good if you could use "Forscan" software on something, that way you can access the ford body control modules and other items connected via the obdII port. (I have hacked into the ECM using forscan to enable cruise control which wasn't turned on from the factory.)
I know that running programs like forscan is possible on some of the android units.
I have ordered a double din fascia kit for the daily driver, so its just a case of finding a unit.
ill probably upgrade the factory speakers as well. I don't want to have to install an amp, so am looking for speakers with a high efficiency that will run without an external amp.

I was told that Alpine had a new unit coming out, but nothing has turned up in the last 12 months. Chip shortage must be a thing.

keep us posted please.

Back