Smiths Gauges

Currently I am working on wiring senders and mounting and pre-wiring my dash gauges. All of the suppliers I have looked at state that a Voltage stabilizer that must be used with Smiths Gauges. I am wondering if this is a "must use" item, or is it a simple voltage regulator device that could be replaced with a zener diode or another simple regulator.
I am assuming that this prevents over-voltage to the gauges, and in the case of electric oil pressure, fuel, and water temperature provides the correct reading by providing the voltage the unit requires.
Cheers
Phil

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Phil - The Smiths gauge voltage regulator is a bi-metal switching type. It's in a little metal can. It is possible to fit a 1A semiconductor regulator inside the can, which I have done in my Europa.I thinks it's a 10volt reg.
I'll dig the circuit out if you want it.

Ross:thumbsup:

Ross:
That would be great, I was curious as I had searched and the only info I could find was that it was needed.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Ok here goes
Ross:thumbsup:

Attachments

• VRegultor.jpg
    VRegultor.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 411
Ross:
Thank you.
Sunday morning here so after I do some chores I may take a ride and see if I can't come up with a simple circuit to make it all work.
Cheers
Phil

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is why I love this forum...since I haven't wired up my dashboard instruments yet, I can do this and save some trouble on the other end...thanks.

Ross and JImmy mac
I am happy to report that I went out Today (After the honeydo chores) and picked up an lm317 and a small breadboard, some resistors and a trim pot. The device will support about 1 1/2 amps of current so I hooked it up to 3 gauges and was able to adjust for 10 volt output with load.
Problem solved..thanks guys.
I believe it will support 4 or 5 gauges, and I fastened a small piece of alum. to the top to heat sink the device.
Next is my Tach, but I will bother you gentlemen on a later date with that.
JIm..you are spot on about this forum, I enjoy helping when I can, but my expertise is chassis and suspensions, although I am pretty good with electrics, most of what I have worked with were either OEM stuff or older gauges like Stewart Warner or VDO.
I'll try and post some photos of my creation, and maybe it will answer some questions others might have.
Cheers
Phil

Gentlemen,
I've read the posts and wanted your input on my Smiths Speedo. I have a CAV car with the optional Smiths gauges and the only gauge I can see with a problem is the speedo. All other gauges appear to be working fine. The car is like new so its unknown if the guage ever functioned properly. I've replaced the pick up sensor at the transaxle and insured its proper position. The speddo has been observed moving both before the new sensor and after but only when it wanted. The odometer is not working either but does show @ 28 mliles. Any thoughts. Also the speedo when another electric item (like the fans) is placed in the "on" position will go all the way to 220 mph and back to 0 where its stays until it decides to start moving again. You've got to love the Brits!! Lucas electrics all over again? What did they call them...the Prince of Darkness if I recall. No offence to the Brits cause I love the country and lived there for many years.

Jimmy:
I have planned on using the Cubic Performance speedo when I get to that point. Right now I am working on my tach and calibrating it as closely as I can.
Not knowing what speedo you have I would think the first thing would be to check if it is properly grounded, and check the connections from the sensor to see if you have a signal at the speedo terminals, in short keep isolating until you find the problem. I know that some of the electronic speedos do cycle to full reading and then to zero when turned on, so that may not be a problem.
I am sure there are others here on the forum more qualified than myself that may be familiar with your problem and be able to solve it or steer you in the right direction.
Cheers
Phil

Phil, sorry for the tardy resposne but thanks a stack for the advise. I have Smith's guages in my CAV. I've been doing just as you stated....trying to corner the problem with the speedo but a broken connector has sidelined my movements. Once thats repaired I'll see if I'm getting power to all the parts and go from there. I know it worked (albeit not correctly) before so it should work again. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back