Smooth Skin R9 Rated Hoses

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have experience of a premium hose rated at R9 specification which has a smooth O/D skin ?.
Most of those which I have seen have rippled or rough surfaces outside.
Thanks

sorry James, I didn't see this thread. For some reason it wasn't coming up in the "new posts" list?
I don't have an answer for you, but figure that if I post here, maybe it will put it back on the list.

I think most or some of the premium smooth hoses also have a slightly different size and different adapters. So you have to use their particular hose ends. Thats about the only thing i can think of when choosing a particular hose.

good luck with the search.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ryan
Hose sizes are not a problem, and I can make my own vintage looking fittings to suit if I need to, I have done it before.
I just want a smooth hose that I can print some neat lettering on.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
found lots of R9 rated smooth black hose but they do have printed specs already on them.... might be able to remove the printing and add your own depending on the chemistry of the paint used to print.... which is another question to answer.... could you lightly sand away the printing????

Andy

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
All of my flexible hydraulic lines are stainless steel encased in a rubberized coating. As you can see below the texture of the underlying stainless is noticeable. That said, there is no printing and I like it a lot better than the basic stainless line... it's really nice stuff. I cut it to length and my fabricator has crimping dies for each line size which are used in a hydraulic machine. The machine is something like $8k, but you can spec the lines and have them crimped for you. I'm pretty sure that the line is from XRP. If you're interested, I'll find out.

1682393105505.png

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Scott
A marvellous build quality there if I may say so. Also your beautiful dog in your avatar appears to be thinking " :rolleyes: Pop is working in his operating theatre again"
:)

The manufacturer's details printed on the hose does not detract me.
I am using Cohline 2400 supplied hose for my experiment which is delivered already printed with the R9 code specification in blue digitised print.

In the photo below you can see that the structural weave in the hose affects the lay down of my printing paint, and if I don't get the viscosity of the paint and the pressure of the applicator exact the wet paint bleeds into the low spots - the third attempt bottom right is my best shot so far.
Now I am trying to make my work easier by finding a smoother surface to print on as I need 40 feet of this yellow stuff.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Rob Klein

Supporter

As a former dealer/ supplier of Cohline fuel hoses, in my case the R7 spec, they all cracked within 3 years on the outside. (not on the inside).
All the hoses I supplied where hard as rock and not flexible anymore after three years. (engine bay, mainly Ford Capri purpose supplied)
Went back to supplying Gates and never had issues again.
Saying I am not fond of the Cohline brand.

Back