Spf gt40p2207

Hey Guys,

Like everyone on this site, we like to see photos of other GT40s. So here's two photos of my GT40 at Willowsprings Raceway (CA) a few weeks ago.

For over ten years I drove racing Porsches and the biggest surprise for me driving the GT40 on a track for the first time was how easy it was to drive fast! It's amazing!

For example, through turn 8 in a Porsche I was doing 87mph with white knuckles and on the limit! In a GT40, it was 106mph... one handed! I was hitting 156mph on the front straight. Seriously!... Amazing! The Avon tires are the way to go if you are going to track the car.

Attachments

• GT40WillowspringsRT.jpg
    GT40WillowspringsRT.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 499
  • GT40WillowGarage.jpg
    GT40WillowGarage.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 531
Thumbs up!!

I like the placement of your mirrors...my car is similar, and I am undecided about what to do about the mirrors. Can you actually see anything with them? what brand/model are they?

Mike, I ran the car for the first time on "testing day"... which is every Friday at Willowsprings. I wanted to set the brakes and fine tune everything. It's only $75 per car and $75 per driver. For a $150 you can drive eight hours straight if you want to train for an endurance race. I lasted about 60 laps (3x20) and took it easy since it was the first time the car has been on a track.

That test day there were a few Ferrari 360 Challenge Cars, two Spec Racer, Porsche RSRs, a Indy Car, and a Formula 5000 (Formula 2) car... Schitt, that thing was faaaaast! Once I know the car is good to go, I'll race it with Open Track Racing, Green Flag Racing, Cobra Club, Alfa Club, Porsche Club, Ferrari Club...

Ron Earp

Admin
Once I know the car is good to go, I'll race it with Open Track Racing, Green Flag Racing, Cobra Club, Alfa Club, Porsche Club, Ferrari Club...

Sounds excellent! Sorting a car for the track takes some time.

PCA - Isn't the PCA sanctioned racing Porsches only?

Hi
Very nice!

Avon's are great for the track and in my believe ONLY for the track. They are currently on my GT and I have serious problems to get them working on a normal drive trough the countryside as the temperature is not going above 40 degress celcious. If they are cold the car feels like beeing on a oil strip rather them sticky to road.
But you are right if you push it a bit and they reach working temp. they are great for turning AND breaking. But nothing for a car that's more on the road then on a track

Just my 2cnt
Skeleton

Some PCA and POC events allow non-Porsches if they're unique like a Gulf GT40. But not in the races of course, only in the time trials.

Mike, strap your car to your plane ;)

Ron Earp

Admin
Some PCA and POC events allow non-Porsches if they're unique like a Gulf GT40. But not in the races of course, only in the time trials.

That is good to know and what I thought. Didn't know if I was missing out on some racing as I'd always thought PCA is single marquee racing for the wheel to wheel competition. I've taken a number of my cars to the Porsche track weekends but no wheel to wheel weekends with them.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
For example, through turn 8 in a Porsche I was doing 87mph with white knuckles and on the limit! In a GT40, it was 106mph... one handed. Amazing!.

There's something I don't quite get about this.... Several years ago when I owned a stone-stock NSX the local SoCal NSX group did a day at Willow Springs with the Touring Car Club. I'm pretty sure I was going through turn at around 90, and I don't recall it seeming like that big a deal. A friend who was their at the time with his stock NSX, who also races motorcycles, had pretty much the same reaction. Neither of us had any prior track experience on 4-wheels whatsoever.

There's a trackday report here Learning to Speed at the Ford GT School - Inside Line indicating that in a Hoosier-shod Ford GT, 130 through turn 8 should be no problem, and the author reports doing 120.

So what's my point? Simply this: are you sure you're talking about turn *8* at Willow Springs? The long sweeper before the nasty closing radius turn that leads onto the pit straight?

Mike, they ask you a few questions when you sign up, but tech is up to you. Just remember there are no corner workers on test day. Only a start/finish person and someone in the mic booth. No passenger allowed unless you get approval first. It's testing day. You're not going to push the car to the limit. If you crash, unfortunately it will be awhile before any emergency personal would get to you.

Back