SPF Headlight alternative

Callaghan

Lifetime Premier Supporter
Greeting,
Was wondering if anyone had found a decent replacement/alternative/upgrade for the factory Superformance headlights. Not sure if all the SPF cars come with garbage lights or I just got a Friday car. Oddly the fog lights are nice and bright.
Cheers
Callaghan

I don't know about the SPF, but I changed my KVA 100/60 H4 lamps which gave an 'OK' output to HID versions, 2x 50W, and was amazed at the difference. You will need a couple of wiring changes, and of course, they are unlikely to be legal in California !
Tony.

You can upgrade the headlamp bulbs to higher output units, however you do need to add larger gauge wiring and a relay system to power them as the factory setup is based on the original wiring and does not support the higher amperage draw of say a 100/140 watt bulb.

Using the standard wire from the headlight switch as the relay "trigger" and providing sufficient wire gauge and amperage to the headlamp will do the job.

Hi Callaghan

I switched to LED headlights in my CAV. I very very nearly fit a large black pig one night. The old incandescent bulbs had to go! I presume it is a similar setup on the superformance. This is one of the best, and easiest changes I have made. Here is the link that has the parts I needed.

headlites-for-cav

You are welcome to take a look some time. It is now a pleasure to use at night.

Karl

I just replaced the really awful factory SPF bulbs with LEDs I purchased from Amazon: Amazon.com: MICTUNING Extremely Bright H4(9003) LED Headlight Bulbs, 80W 8000 Lumens Hi/Lo Beam (6000K White, Pack of 2): Automotive

The only other thing I had to purchase was a P43T to H4 adapter to place between the LEDs and the headlight housing: 1 X P45T R2 H5 to P43T H4 BULB ADAPTER MOTORCYCLE SCOOTER MOPED OLDTIMER CLASSIC | eBay

The results are simply astonishing. Super output and I no longer have to worry about being seen at night. This was just about the best $50 I've spent on this car.

I just replaced the really awful factory SPF bulbs with LEDs I purchased from Amazon: Amazon.com: MICTUNING Extremely Bright H4(9003) LED Headlight Bulbs, 80W 8000 Lumens Hi/Lo Beam (6000K White, Pack of 2): Automotive

The only other thing I had to purchase was a P43T to H4 adapter to place between the LEDs and the headlight housing: 1 X P45T R2 H5 to P43T H4 BULB ADAPTER MOTORCYCLE SCOOTER MOPED OLDTIMER CLASSIC | eBay

The results are simply astonishing. Super output and I no longer have to worry about being seen at night. This was just about the best $50 I've spent on this car.
Exactly what I did on the CAV. Absolutely amazing difference! I went from a very scary ride on back roads (VERY nearly hit a pig!) to being a joy to drive in the dark. I also changed the other bulbs so people can see me better (brakes, indicators). The bulbs also have less current draw.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Premier Supporter
Tim:

The link to the MICTUNING bulbs takes you to a page on Amazon with six different bulb options. Looks like different fittings on the bulb. Which one did you buy?

Dave