SPF MK1 For Sale in Detroit

Dave,

It was built here in Dallas, Texas back in late 2015 early 2016. It parked next to me at the June 2016 Legacy Bank Shelby Show and I talked to the owner for a brief bit. Seemed like a nice guy and he had it finished by a professional shop here. He put it up for sale shortly after that for $250K on Craig's List and then a month later dropped it to $225K. Then it came down to $200K. A local classic car place here in Dallas ended up taking it on consignment and it has been for sale on Ebay for the last year for buy now $185K. Over the last several months it went on and off Ebay with a buy now or bidding with reserve but no sale. About 3 weeks ago it dropped to $159.9K buy now or offer and 3 days later dropped off Ebay and the Classic Car Dallas dealer site. I still had the link to Craig's list and it said sold so these guys in Detroit clearly bought it. Super nice SPF GT40 with 351/427 crate engine and fuel injection. Only 350 miles prior to going to Detroit.

Last edited:
I just checked and the Craig's List Ad is deleted but the Facebook ad is still up. There still is a video up on Facebook of the car taken in his driveway.

Just search the following on Facebook: 1965 Superformance GT40 MK1

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, Gary. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts at Vanguard. They've also had a Superformance Daytona for quite a while.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I've never figured out why so many people part with their GT40 after having put so few miles on it. (Ditto exotics.)
'Makes me wonder if they spent any time at all in one before purchasing their own.

But...eeeeeeeh...what do I know...

What I realized when I was looking at possibly getting a used GT40 was that it made more sense to me to just wait and work at getting the one I really wanted since I was age 10 built---the prices people were asking for the used ones just seemed way too high and I am terrible at car negotiations.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What I realized when I was looking at possibly getting a used GT40 was that it made more sense to me to just wait and work at getting the one I really wanted since I was age 10 BUILT---
Bingo.

'May cost you a BIT more...but, you'll be paying for exactly what you want. 'No compromising/'settling' involved. And everything will be new (or darned sure OUGHT to be)...which SHOULD indicate no hidden problems. ;)

JMHO.