Steering column shaft/ steering wheel concern

As I've stated in another thread I got my car unfinished second hand. The gentleman that purchased it new opted to use a corvette or XLR steering wheel. Hence the bung and quick release shaft are not welded to the factory columns shaft. I looked for a GM steering wheel and none appeal to me and I would like to use the supplied quick release and steering wheel. Is anyone familiar with the procedure to weld this assembly together? The bung screws onto the column shaft but obviously would need to be secured and then the quick release shaft would be welded to the bung.It seems obvious but before I take it to a certified welder ( I'm a good welder but this is critical) I want to be sure of the proper procedure.

Here is a pic of a brand new male spline for the Sweet unit. You can also see one welded onto the shaft of the XLR column. This one had been first cut to 1.6", then the weld was filled on the end.
I did not do it, so not sure how much the column got torn down to do it. I suppose with a hot enough mig welder, you could do it very quickly to help heat soak and transfer to melt the plastic components. If I was to do it, I would get a wet towel and wrap it around the shaft right below the weld to help limit heat transfer to rest of shaft and plastic components. Or, just completely disassemble it.

Rich

As an alternative, have you considered using the quick disconnect and not using the welded shaft system? I have the Oldsmobile steering column and the NRG with new steering wheel is a very nice clean set up. Not sure about your column, but might be worth your time if you haven't already explored the option.

Thanks Scott and Dan. I'm researching both options. Dan do you know the NRG part number? I've seen it discussed but cannot remember what thread. Thanks

Ken Roberts

Supporter
SRK-177H is the part number for the NRG adapter for the XLR/c6 column. There is currently one for sale on corvetteforum under the classified section of the auto cross/road racing section ($100 shipped).

Back