Steering stops

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I am looking for ideas re steering stops on a late CAV. At the moment the tires touch the coolant lines on the rear inside.

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
An old GT40 replica trick is to use jubilee/ hose clamps on the last treads on steering rack to limit the movement to reduce steering radius, and tire rub on inner wheel well...

Neil

Supporter
Bill;

My solution to adding steering rack stops was to remove the tie rods from the ends of the steering rack and slip on pieces of steel tubing that I cut to the correct length and then re-install the tie rod ends. Quick, easy, & cheap.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I just bought a short length of 1” PVC plumbing pipe, cut it to the appropriate length and split it length wise. Pull the bellows back on your rack and snap the “C” shaped spacer I had just made over the end of the rack on the inside of the inner tie rod end.
Reinstalled the bellows and was done..
The tie rod will then bottom out on the spacer and stop you from turning it any further..
We used this trick on the Cobras we built also and never had a problem.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pictures from the spacers I made for my Arctic Cat SxS...
33978FED-8EFE-4EC9-994A-3AAD48FB8DB4.jpeg
74A6A1B3-7CF9-4BF6-A55C-FFCB65102868.jpeg

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I purchased a couple of split aluminum shaft collars (McMaster-Carr) that were sized to match the OD of the rack. Adjustable and lightweight.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Here it is. The first picture I've ever uploaded. With help from my kid.

So am I to assume the stop spacer will sit under the bellows. Could us the collar end set screw method.

GOPR0530.JPG

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
From the RS link I posted earlier:-
R6918092-01.jpg

Wouldn't even need to remove the tie-rods.

This. Easy and adjustable.

The Superformance cars have a similar nylon split stop that is held by a crimp clamp. Depending on what front tires you use and if the chassis is a Mk I or MK II we remove them to allow more steering lock. On the SPF you can also cut the stop down to add lock until the point where the tire hits the tub.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the input. Is that your tierod end at the top of the picture Randy? The only stop I can use is the tierod end, which is outside the bellows. I will post a photo in a bit.

The crimped end you see in the top pic is the rack housing on one side. The sleeve is over the rack itself and will come into interference with the inner tie rod. All of this is INSIDE the bellows on each side of the rack.
The bottom picture is the other side of the rack housing..

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
There are different ratios of ID/OD on the different collars, so you may want to ensure that the size of the collar you choose will work with your specific rack. Mine rack (911) has a recessed area on each end that, if the collar OD was too close to the recessed area's wall ID, then there could be a chance of binding at stop. I chose a thicker designed collar so this would not happen. So be sure to consider the rack housing end design.

Pat

Supporter
I used the OEM ones from Ford that dealers use when they add custom wheels. Works just fine and the install is super easy, the rack doesn't need to come off the car, just peel back the accordion boots, extend the steering and click them in. Then check that you've limited the travel to your satisfaction. You can get them from your Ford dealer. Part # Ford (N-804842-S) Steering Rack Limiters is a direct replacement for all 1987-2004 Mustangs.
You can also order them here: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-steering-rack-limiter-pair-1987-2004/p/HW2324/

Attachments

• Limiters.jpg
    Limiters.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Apart from everything else it looks like your tie rod end in your pic will bind against the steering arm at full lock unless your actual final setup requires a washer or two between tie rod end and steering arm to get bump steer correct.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Good eye Jac! Looking at angles of the arms/link though, it appears like he's pretty close on the bump-steer without the clearance spacer for the Heim. Are those steering arms adjustable up and down?

Last edited:
Back