Street Driving

Eric B

Eric
So as I explore my build of a GT40, I will have a few questions from you wonderful people, since you are the experts.

I remember before I got my first Cobra I was told how horrible it would be driving it on the street, with speed bumps, pot holes, and more. However that was completely wrong, and now on my third Cobra I know there is almost no compromise driving a Cobra on the street.

I've heard a few negatives about a GT40 on the street (blind spots and it's too low). How do you guys feel about that?

Eric

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
GT40s were designed, engineered and built from the ground up to be race cars. As a consequence, driver - and especially passenger - space was only begrudgingly provided. Getting in and out of them is difficult (compared to most cars)...the interior is cramped and, for most, somewhat 'uncomfortable' (claustrophobia is also an issue for some people). There's no real storage space for any sort of long distance travel. They are low ('often need to take speed bumps, dips in road, et al, 'at an angle')...there are "blind spots" (backing up & parallel parking are a challenge)...they are noisy. They aren't really too water-tight NOR are their interiors devoid of fumes 'right out of the box', so to speak. Aaaaaand there are no 'cup holders'!

In short - they're not really intended to be daily driver/commuter cars. They CAN BE used that way if one is determined to do so, but, they're not really intended for that purpose.

JMPO. OMV.

I AGREE WITH LARRY, HOWEVER I DO NOT FIND MINE CRAMPED. WITH TWO BIG GUYS IT WILL BE TIGHT. MINE RIDES AND DRIVES LIKE A PRODUCTION CAR. SPEED BUMPS AND DIPS CAN BE A PROBLEM. BLIND SPOTS AND BACKING UP A CHALLENGE. THE ONLY FUMES I GET IS WHEN I AM NOT PAYING ATTENTION AND SPLASH SOME FUEL WHILE FILLING. THEY ARE NOT WATER TIGHT. MY A/C DOES A VERY GOOD JOB. (I LIVE IN FLORIDA) GETTING IN AND OUT IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE. AGE, HEALTH ,SIZE, WEIGHT WILL DETERMINE HOW YOU GET IN AND OUT OF YOUR CAR. TRY TO LOCATE A FORUM MEMBER CLOSE TO YOU. I AM SURE SOMEONE WOULD BE WILLING TO SHOW YOU THEIR CAR AND ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS. VEEK WAS KIND ENOUGH TO TAKE MY WIFE AND I FOR A RIDE BEFORE I PURCHASED MY CAR.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I have a rear view cam that shows me everything, 180 deg. When I look left or right sitting in the seat I can see the same stuff that is on the screen, no blind spots.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I have a rear view cam that shows me everything, 180 deg. When I look left or right sitting in the seat I can see the same stuff that is on the screen, no blind spots.

...aaaaaaah, but, 'cameras aren't 'standard' on '40s from the factory! STOCK a GT40 is in fact a chore to park & back up 'cause they DO have blind spots. ;)

'Not real easy to tell where the nose ends when driving forward either! lol!

Sorry to hijack, Bill, curious. What's your rear view cam solution. type, location, etc?

Eric, I plan to drive a lot on the road, but as my car is new and there is still salt on my roads, I can't be of much help yet. Like you I have logged many 10's of thousands of miles in my Cobras. And love it.

Thanks

Eric B

Eric
Bill, can you post (or link to a post) on your camera system? This would be something I would look at for sure.

Not being stock doesn't bother me, as long as things are tight and have a purpose.

This may up set the faithful, but I am pretty serious about a coyote motor, possibly the Voodoo motor.

Cameron, I think I saw pics of you picking yours up ay Hillbank, was that you?

E

I have taken mine on a 1000+ mile journey from southern Oregon down I5 and the 101 through Santa Barbara and LA to southern Orange County with my wife and dog and luggage enough for a four day trip. I have had no problem driving it places other than Santa Barbara. They have some rather immediate and step road changes and I have a few scrapes on the fiberglass under the nose from visiting friends there. I also have a camera in back and that is helpful to give better situational awareness....so is the throttle pedal. The cockpit is plenty spacious for us three. The ride is comfortable and smooth...it handles the bumps real well. At first I would pucker approaching any potholes, but after a while I realized that it dealt with them fine. I should state that I have a Superformance MKII that is pretty much standard. Luckily it spends most of it's time in Southern Oregon on some very fine roads driving though incredible scenery.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As Mike has indicated the Superformance GT is a capable road car. Keeping in mind that these sere race cars that were to be "roadable" they do ride quote well. The ride is more supple than most expect, they do make some noise over bumps as the no rubber bushing suspension will clank and clunk on potholes, etc. The cockpit is small but the seating is quite comfortable and I have no problem doing long drives. I have developed a mantra of "situational awareness" to be sure the area I am aiming for is clear and that other see me (the car being small and low seems to be put of the visual range of your average SUV/brodozer truck driver) so you want to be sure you are seen. There are a few SPF GT40s that are approaching 50K on miles so they can be more than an occasional special drive car. I drive mine as often as possible and have had comments about "those miles are reducing your value" so I am looking forward to when it is valueless!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Watch out for idiots taking pictures on their phone when driving and their car drifting towards you.

Been pushed into a different lane a couple of times.

London to LeMans 3 times over the years about 1000 mile round trip and in 40celsius temp with no aircon - so long as the car is moving it is ok - traffic and you sweat.

Fit blind spot mirrors like these - they help a lot
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-RV-...1552290532&sr=8-5&keywords=blind+spot+mirrors

Ian

I have a rear view camera mounted on the cabin section because it's impossible to see anything out the rear window. Also, I only take my baby out early Sunday morning when the traffic is light. There are always wise guys who want to race you - I just ignore them! Also, make sure you leave plenty of space between cars in front of you!

John

Eric B

Eric
I also have a camera in back and that is helpful to give better situational awareness....so is the throttle pedal.
Mike, I understand what you are saying, just move ahead of trailing cars. Yup, I figured as much.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and feedback.

This car would be the third car including a 2014 GT500, and my SPF 2715. So I do not think I will put more than 1,000 miles a year on it as I am still working, and will be for a few more years.

John, Absolutely to Sunday (and even Saturday) mornings. Here in St. Louis, you can get out of the city easy between 5-6am on the weekends. Coming back there is some traffic where I live, but not too bad.

Is there a camera thread on the forum that has information on what you guys are using?

Eric

I have a post in Larry's second listing.I use the Sony Board camera mounted on some Lexan at the top back of the cabin. This is a 1080P camera and cost less than $50. I have it hacked into a Tadi Bros. unit that displays up to 4 cameras. I also have two of their side mounted cameras(striped down and mounted in each of the side mirrors. I have the Runcam and the Mobius mini cams(the size of a matchbox) that are mounted on gimbals that stick on to the side of the car or up top for a forward looking camera. The gimbals are from any of the RC websites and they can be wired so that you can change their direction up down or around (360 degrees) on the fly as you drive. These mini cams have an SD card in them so you can either just use the cam as a viewing device or you can record and download later. They also utilize only 5 volts, so you have to purchase a step down transformer to keep them running, if you don't like to keep changing out batterys. You can also wire in a device that checks out the function of the gimbal to make it go through its paces as you drive. On the RCforums such as HobbyKing and others you can get these devices for under $25. I would post pics of these but Photobucket is now limiting the number of pics that can be posted and getting them is next to impossible.

Bill

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I added a camera to the top of the licence plate, my rear view mirror is now the screen. I have had a terrible time getting used to the car. My problem is that besides having next to zero visibility (before camera) I am sitting on the right side of the car in the USA. When I go to get on a major highway I can not see traffic coming up when on the ramp and this gives me a horrible blind spot before the camera can see the traffic.

"This may up set the faithful, but I am pretty serious about a coyote motor, possibly the Voodoo motor. "
I would think about resale value before doing that. Most SPF owners bought their cars because they're the most faithful to an original. Yes, Gelscoes are more original yet, but $$$.

Eric B

Eric
"This may up set the faithful, but I am pretty serious about a coyote motor, possibly the Voodoo motor. "
I would think about resale value before doing that. Most SPF owners bought their cars because they're the most faithful to an original. Yes, Gelscoes are more original yet, but $$$.

I haven't made my mind up, but I really love the sound of a four valve engine, and modern ignition is most appealing . I did have a horrible experience with an 8-stack system, so no matter what I am not going to use any stack injection. (mass air flow sensor)

Resale?, oh I don't think I am too worried about that. I see that GT40's take a while to sell anyway, and I could do more with my money invested. I guess what I mean is I am not going into it thinking I am making an investment, more I am buying a car that has limited uses.

Does that sound bad? I don't mean it to. :)

E

If you're not looking at an SPF as an investment and a modern engine is what you want go for it. I think Rick M. said SPF can accommodate a Coyote, but check first.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If you're not looking at an SPF as an investment and a modern engine is what you want go for it. I think Rick M. said SPF can accommodate a Coyote, but check first.
Yes,

We can order set up for a Coyote. There are several differences in the chassis install kit so it must be ordered to use the Coyote. If you find a wrecked GT350 the Vodoo is the same install save for the headers, while physically they are same as the 5.0, the firing order with the flat crank would require modifications for the 180 degree bundle of snakes.

Eric B

Eric
Yes,

We can order set up for a Coyote. There are several differences in the chassis install kit so it must be ordered to use the Coyote. If you find a wrecked GT350 the Vodoo is the same install save for the headers, while physically they are same as the 5.0, the firing order with the flat crank would require modifications for the 180 degree bundle of snakes.

"We can order set up for a Coyote" Doug said the same about the order of the car.

"If you find a wrecked GT350" All I would have to do is wait right? ….LOL I am checking on my options for that motor, to see if I can have one built in lieu of a Ford Racing or wrecked motor. Lance had his Coyote installed with a supercharger. I am not considering Roush for an engine build though.

Yeah, the headers would have to be built. I have not decided on the installer for the engine/trans yet.

E

Back