Stupid question time...

Ok so this ones got me stumped, how do I do I stop the kingpins spinning when I tighten the nylock nut up onto it?

You need to tighten first with a non nyloc to try to fasten the cone first , then undo that normal nut and replace with a nyloc ; normaly you will be able to tighten this nyloc before the cone become free again
Hope this helps

or just use a clamp to push the ball joint tapper into the upright to stop it spinning, then tighten the nut.

Ryan

Why are you using a Nylock instead of a castle nut (castellated nut) and a cotter pin on a ball joint or are Nylocks the norm now... Yes I'm old school and haven't done any suspension work in years so school me lol.

Pat

Supporter
I've used a ratcheting tie down strap to tighten the joints together then put torque to the nut.

Last edited:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Also
Be very aware that especially on critical components Nyloc nuts are a one time use only nut.
Once they have been used and screwed onto a bolt they will not be able to be used again as the nylon insert gets cut by the threads and loses it's holding ability second time around.
Dimi

Why are you using a Nylock instead of a castle nut (castellated nut) and a cotter pin on a ball joint or are Nylocks the norm now... Yes I'm old school and haven't done any suspension work in years so school me lol.

To use a castelled nut you need to have the thread part drilled to insert the cotter pin ; as now all these spherical ball joint are delivered with an nyloc no hole avaible .... and do not try to drill any .... you will broke so many drills due to the hight tensile steel they are made !!!!

If there is no non nyloc avaible ( due to specific thread or watever ) you can just insert many more washers in several times of tightening in order to lock the cone without damaging the nylon part and then take off all unecessary washers and then tighten properly alast time with the nylock

Back