Surrey & Sussex Christmas Meal 12th Dec

Unfortunately, our usual venue, The Jovial Sailor, is not available this year. Our monthly meeting place charges too much and has a "no choice" menu, so I have contacted my local pub in Ockley, Surrey, which normally does the most delicious dinners. I have no details as to costs or menu choices as yet, but it's always good homely food, cooked by a lady called "Sue" who has worked there over 25 years. The pub is over 500 years old and should have a very sincere Christmas feel to it. I have made a provisional booking for 16-20 places for Wednesday, 12th December at about 7:30 pm onwards. If you wish to come to the Christmas meal, then please drop our secretary, Ian Anderson a line, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, so that I can firm up the booking. I understand there is a deposit, which I am prepared to pay, so please book early and please turn up. Merry Christmas.. Andrew- chairman GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page
advance.. Andrew (Chairman) GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page

As time is marching on, please can you email our secretary, Ian Anderson, as soon as possible with your menu choices. I have until this Monday to confirm our reservation. The address of The Cricketers Arms and menu are below-

The Cricketers Arms
Christmas Menu

Two courses £14.95/ Three courses £18.95
STARTERS
Prawn Cocktail
Succulent peeled prawns in a marie rose sauce served on a bed of shredded lettuce
Brie Wedges

Served with Red Current Jelly

Leek and Potato Soup

Served with crusty bread

MAIN COURSES
Traditional Roast Turkey
Served with roast potatoes, bacon wrapped sausage and seasonal vegetables
Roast Topside of Beef
Served with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables
Salmon and Broccoli Bake
Served with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables
Mediterranean Vegetable Pasta Bake (V)
Served with salad and garlic bread
SWEETS
Traditional Christmas Pudding
Luscious Lemon Cheesecake
Chocolate Fudge Cake
Cheese and Biscuits
Available Between December 1st and 23rd 2012
Pre-Booking essential,£5/head non-refundable deposit required.01306 627205

***NB- there is a maximum of 20 places. As of today we have 8 confirmed and 2 possibles. Act now, so you can enjoy your Christmas with the GT40 Enthusiasts Club.. Andrew

We'd love to have you Kevin, you might be more tender than their turkey!

*** Sorry, but bookings have had to be closed a bit early, as we're already oversubscribed. I am no certain, until I hear back from Ian Anderson, but I think we're up to 26 members and guests. Debbie and I volunteer to have our meal in the bar area, which is near the dining room anyway and just as cozy. I hope the overflowers don't mind spreading out into the bar with us. I didn't realise the club was so popular!!! Thanks to everyone who has put their name/s down. Please now let Ian have your menu choices and I'll go and pay everyone's £5.00 deposit tomorrow after work. Cheers.. Andrew

Didn't know it was on until I read your post about it above on Friday Andrew. Understand that some Surrey members got emails earlier in the week - but not me. Sent my menu choice to Ian early on Saturday. Would be a pity if we can't go as it is the one Club meeting where we wouldn't have a long drive to attend!

Wishing you and Debbie all the best.

Chris

Don't worry Chris, you're on the list x2.

We now have 26 people coming out of a total of 20 available places! Don't panic, we're allowed to spread out into the bar. Debbie and I volunteer to have our meals in the bar, it's only around the corner from the dining room anyway. It's also a very small pub.

Note please- I am going to pay everyone's £5.00 deposit tonight. Those who don't turn up, will owe me £5.00 per head.. OK?

Anyone else who intends to come, I suggest you contact the pub directly on the number above and give them your card details and menu choices. I have been informed by Terry, the landlord, that they can accomodate a further 20 people in the bar, so there's time yet, to book directly, if you fancy coming along. Sorry to those who might not have been contacted by email.. nothing personal, we'd love to see as many GT40 enthusiasts at The Cricketers as possible... Andrew

Important Everyone- I have now paid 26 deposits to The Cricketers Arms, so you all owe me £5.00 per head I'm afraid. The full address of the pub, where the infamous actor Oliver reid used to "frequent" in the 1960s/70s is: The Cricketers Arms, Stane Street, Ockley, Surrey, RH5 5TP. I've arranged for it to begin at 7:30 pm and there's plenty of parking around the back of the pub on their gravelled carpark. There are still some people who have not given either me or Ian Anderson their menu choices and I'd be grateful if you could email me at [email protected] please. The dining room holds 20, the bar holds 25, so i've suggested we spread out a little and, perhaps, move around after each course... wife swapping in Surrey.. never! Looking forward to meeting everyone again... Andrew

Keith

Andrew, I lived in Surrey then, not a million miles away from there and I also believe Clapton frequented the place. Was this not the (in)famous pub where Reed came down (or up) the chimney whilst the fire was burning? Large reddish brick old building with open space/heathland opposite?

Hi Keith.. All this is hearsay, as I am an immigrant from the frozen North, but I believe the red building to which you refer, might have been The Parrot at Forest Green. Clapton used to jam with Gary Brooker of Prochol Harum their. Gary owned the pub I am informed. The Cricketers is where Oliver Reid came down the chimney one Christmas dressed as Santa, while the fire raged below! I propose a toast to Mr Reid and to all of his ilk on the night of the 14th.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has furnished their menu choices and to remind those who have not. Please hurry up, otherwise your choice may end up "Spam & chips, Spam, eggs & chips, Spam with Spam, Spam, Spam & Spam etc". Seasons Greetings... Andrew

See- http://gt40enthusiastsclub

Hi Keith.. All this is hearsay, as I am an immigrant from the frozen North, but I believe the red building to which you refer, might have been The Parrot at Forest Green. Clapton used to jam with Gary Brooker of Prochol Harum their. Gary owned the pub I am informed. The Cricketers is where Oliver Reid came down the chimney one Christmas dressed as Santa, while the fire raged below! I propose a toast to Mr Reid and to all of his ilk on the night of the 14th.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has furnished their menu choices and to remind those who have not. Please hurry up, otherwise your choice may end up "Spam & chips, Spam, eggs & chips, Spam with Spam, Spam, Spam & Spam etc". Seasons Greetings... Andrew

See- http://gt40enthusiastsclub

14th??
Are you also going there on the 14th, or were you having "a funny 5 minutes" ? :stunned::stunned::stunned:

Thanks Paul. A lot on my mind at the moment and a big court case coming up on the 14th. I add that I am the prosecutor not the defendant before people get the wrong end of the stick.. so hence the confusion. Our Christmas meal takes place on Wednesday 12th December.... Andrew

Tonight at 7:30 pm we shall meet to toast the memory of Oliver Reid dressed as Santa sliding down the chimney at the Cricketers in Ockley. There's a total of 26 members coming, so we will be split up into two teams. I would advise you all to dress up warm, as it's a 500 year old pub, once a coach house used as a staging post between London and the South coast. That fact doesn't makethe pub any warmer though, so get those winter togs on and drive carefully. "Ho,Ho,Ho"... Andrew

Back