Tall drivers

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
I've recently bought a Mk1 GTD and thought I could live with the (unusal) pedal position but after a brief time with the car I've come to the conclusion that either I need to join a yoga class or I need to resite the pedals.
Since I would rather spend time with the car I've searched various forums and have come across references to extended pedal boxes and such.
I'm 6ft and I'm sure that there are many of you out there who have had the same problem.
So what do I do?
Comments and advice are welcome.

Malcolm

Supporter
Get thee to Goodwood on this coming Monday for the track day and see lots of solutions to your problem.
Malcolm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Buy some new seats from Frank Catt. These will give you a little extra headroom. Unfortunately GTD failed to cater for 6ft drivers, God knows why!! I'm over 6ft and am pleased to report that I have plenty of legroom in my MDA. Although I need a Gurney bubble for my big head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GTD did in fact make a few cars with extra legroom. Like Malcolm says get to Goodwood on Monday and have a look at what the tall folk have done.

Regards,

J.P

The extended pedal box on the GTD is accomplished by adding a pieice if 1.5 " square tubing in front of the existing frame members used to mount the standard pedal box, then moving the x bracing under the pedal box forward. After that is done you notch out the tub in front of the pedals and you now have 1.5" more reach to the pedals. Mounting the seat without runners can gain you another 3/4" in head room. If you really want to do a lot of work to gain 1/2" you can space the body up with spacers under the center section mountings,windshield surround,rollbar and the forward mounting of the center section. All easily done when building but lots of work for a completed car. You can also lower the floor iwhere the seats are mounted however this requires a sub frame bolted or welded to the existing frame and modification to the tub and floor pan plus it reduces road clearance which is already pretty tight. Good luck.

Malcolm

Supporter
Hey JP

Just how big is this Gurney bubble of yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

See you Monday

Malcolm

Malc,
is your car going to be ready? Looking forward to seeing you there.
But anyway - Tall Drivers?? Oh how my heart bleeds for you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Charles

Rob,
Was it you who bought Kevins car from Manchester recently?
Can you either e-mail me direct or phone on 07720 414319. I'm in Hampshire too.

I've recentley fitted the Tilton top hung pedal assembly & I believe altho it may only gain an inch or it gives a better pedal position & the pedals are better spaced.

However the clutch pedal does infringe on the passenger footwell a little.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey JP

Just how big is this Gurney bubble of yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

See you Monday

Malcolm

[/ QUOTE ]

Its massive of course.It's actually made from plexiglass, it is also hinged, and has the option of gun mounts. Just in case anyone dares to overtake!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll be there on Monday doing some shooting!! - with my video camera of course! Mark is coming too to soak up some of the rib digging!

Regards,

J.P

Malcolm

Supporter
Dares to overtake, JP? Doesn't that imply you need to be in front? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I am glad Mark is coming to support you to take all the rib digging. I think you just may need it....

Hopefully I can fire the car up today, Charles. Just nipping up to Real Steel to get a new exhaust gasket. Just need to complete the wiring adjustments for the MSD to talk to the Mallory dizzy, remember what the firing order is, time it up and away we go. Allegedly....

There are plenty of six foot GTD owners out there so there is no reason why this car cannot be made to suit its happy but tall, owner.

Malcolm

Back