Tank switching valve....

Can anyone reccomend a bullet-proof electric-valve to use when switching from one tank to the other? (I am running a carb) Can't seem to find anything in jegs or summit. Thanks, Scott

BUT - always check the fuel flow through these ( any ) valves as most are quite restricted and cannot flow sufficient for a healthy engine. Frank

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Finally found it. It was bugging me all day (search is your friend!).

This was one of the greatest accessories I've used for tank switching and it's so ridiculously simple. This link is the thread that brought it to my attention:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/17276-new-fuel-control-valve.html

found here: PERFORMANCE FABRICATION
FUEL VALVE from Aircraft Spruce

The original source was a company call Performance Fabrication which appears to be 'kaput'. The price when I purchased was just under $80usd. It seems to be outrageously priced now at $375usd. I wouldn't want to spend that much now but knowing how well it works I probably would if I was in need, it really works great. Infact, if anyone can locate another source with a reasonable price, post it. I wouldn't mind having a spare.

It simply pushes a ball from one side of the tee to the other depending on which electric fuel pump is pushing pressure to it (doesn't get much simpler). Has been working for thousands of miles without a hiccup.

Thanks for the help/info. I think what I need is off a van or something. The valve would be in place before the fuel pump to switch from one tank to the other. (am only using one electric fuel pump, no return lines) Anyone else? Scott

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
That is how I have my system - but as I am running fuel injection I have the returns to the tank too.

I use a Pollack vlave and "suck" through it to the LP pump then to a swirl pot
Swirl pot return thropugh Pollack to tank

Then from swirl - HP pump to fuel rail and back to Swirl

With a mild motor you should be able to achieve this with the pollack valve (I am running 250hp) - it runs on 8mm hose - that in itself will confirm the restriction on size as Frank points out. Would it run 300, 350, 400 or more hp I don't know and would not like an expensive engine lean out through lack of fuel delivery because of a restrictive valcve!

And an easy calculation is 15cc of fuel per hp per minute
250hp = 250*15*60 = 225000cc per hour or 225litres per hour or approx 50gph

You have to be able to move this amount of fuel through any "restriction"

Ian

I agree Ian, but most people seem to use the old Facet red top pump, max out at 30GPH, far too little for a healthy engine in my mind. Frank

thanks for your input frank your advice always welcome how much capacity would you recomend for a header tank kind regards kc

Kinsler makes a lot of high end fuel switches

www.kinsler.com

I used two of there normally closed switches to control return fuel lines on a 8 stack fuel injection. i have a setup to be able to switch to either tank and have the fuel return to the tank i'm drawing off.

Expensive but very nice quality

LLoyd

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Pollack makes the selector valves for Ford trucks, one such unit Ford P/N F1UZ-9B263-B. These are used on gas and diesel trucks and I believe are 3/8". These are pretty durable as they sit on the frame rail of the truck and are fully exposed to the elements.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I was concerned about using the pollak valves from NAPA because how much they can flow, the plastic body and by the failures reported. I contacted and purchased this one from Parker. It is a marine valve and there is no plastic on the body. Additionally, it'll flow 300 gal at less than 3psi. I installed one and it works flawlessly. However, they invoiced and shipped me two by mistake and I have this one for sale for $375 + shipping. The fittings are not included.

Best,

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 488
Ron,
I sort of agree with you on the plastic fitting part, and question the flow as well. The valve you show looks nice. I assume it has a manual shut-off, as well as solenoids to switch tanks electronically? Scott

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
It has a manual override to open the valve to either the left or the right. The solenoids are on each side. It is a 3 port valve.

Here is the link to the Parker website. The PDF is for the 6port unit (this is the 3port)

MKT - MARINE - Parker

Back