That Glorious Noise

Hi,
can anybody decribe the different notes of a 8->2 and an 8->2 crossover exhausts?
I assume the 8->2 crossover sounds like a flat plane crank, in that it howls like a very large 4 cyl motorbike?
(or indeed a formula 5000...)
Has anyone seen or heard of an 8->2->1 pipe?
Surely that would be more wicked still!

Lets read some glorious noise stories:
after all, the noise is part of the experience!

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

(scream if you wanna go faster)

Robert,

The sound of a 40 with full crossover

exhaust, winding up through the gears can

be best described as an eargasm!

My car has 1 3/4 header tubes into

resonators, then 3" outlets. It is music

to my ears every time I mash the throttle!

Witnesses to this beautiful sound have

suggested that with the instant throttle

response,it is indeed the sound of a

large displacement motorcycle, although an 8

cylinder instead of 4!

Bill

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

G

If you go to the GTD40 Car club site and download some of the video clips you will hear the cross over system. I am in the process of looking out a video clip when Paul and I were at the Nurbergring and did a 0 to 150 mph down the massively long straight. When that gets posted you will hear a non cross over exhaust (with very little packing left in it) and there is a big difference is sound. Assuming computers can properly re generate the sound.
Basiclly the crossover is a smoother lower note.
Malcolm

I have stitched together a 60 second or so video from Goodwood, it has a few full crossover 302s, a non-crossover 302, a crossover 351W and a non-crossover Chevy, (plus a squeaky Lambo). It is 6.3 Kb MPEG file. My Video host pooped out, can someone post it for me, or direct me to a new host?
Brian

MWGT40

Supporter
If you want to hear a really great exhaust note, download the footage of Robin Batt's GTD40 I took at the Isle of Man. The link is contained in Chris Melia's posting dated May 13. Enjoy!!

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Until I heard this, I thought that the GT40 had the most beautiful exhaust note on earth. I have a bit of a sound file of a '50s BRM V16, & there is simply nothing like it - how could anything of 1.5 litres could sound like this (& from so many years ago)?

I can't figure out how to post it to a URL to link with this site (ImageStation won't accept .wav files), but if anyone would like to blow their mind, just email me at [email protected] & I'll send it to you.

Peter D.
smile.gif

Peter,

I am lucky enough to live about 2 miles from the old BRM factory at Bourne, and in 2000, they had a major reunion of old BRM cars...

About 60 cars came along including a few of the V16 cars.

They then proceeded to allow us to line the high street 2 deep (the high street being a narrow road lined with 3 story high buildings), while the cars piled by...

I can only say that the sound is enough to make you smile just thinking about it..

There is nothing like a V16 passing by at 85mph in a space resembling a gulley!...and the smell.... Castrol oil... aahhhhh

If you can mail me the file that would be great....

Regards

Neil

For those of us into "That Glorious Noise", Nick Mason has published a superb book "Into The Red", which includes a CD covering the cars in the book.
How about - Bugatti 35B, ERA, BRM V16, Ferrari 250GTO, and Ferrari 312T3 amongst others!!.
To my intense disappointment, NO GT40s!!!!
However, at full volume, with my wife out of the house, it is ear rattling!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back