The 24 Hours of Nurburging . . . ?

Hmmm . . . . Just wondering . . .

What if?

0903kc_13_z+race_car_replica_superlite_coupe+slc_driving.jpg

vs.

2012-Ferrari-P4-5-Competizione-04.jpg

(This is Mr. Glickenhaus' P4/5 Competizione, by the way)

at the 24 Hours of Nurburging?

That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?

Bassanio et Portia :)

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
I'd say one lap around the ring better than 7 minutes could put RCR on the big screen, again. At near the 2000lb mark with a light Lexus 4.0TT or something of similar flavor and Fran's spot on suspension it's got my vote.

You know, that is a good idea.

Um, a question: is the Toyota (Lexus) V8 (shown here normally aspirated)

THOR_UZ_Race_Engine1.JPG

THOR_UZ_Race_Engine2.JPG

Image © and courtesy of Thor Racing Lexus V8 Products 1UZ-FE Tuning - Thor Racing (Japanese Performance Car Tuning)

lighter or heavier than, say, Mr. Glickenhaus' P 4/5's shrieking Ferrari 430 Engine?

11018793881875038384.jpg

Image © and courtesy of WorldCarFans.com http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co

Is it heavier or lighter than GM's mighty LS7 V8?

Wixom%20Performance%20Build%20Center%20LS7%20Engine.jpg

Image © and courtesy of CorvetteBlog http://www.corvetteblog.com

Also, what about reliability, ease of service in the midst of the race, etc.?

What do y'all think?

Bassanio et Portia :)

I did check the rules for the 24h. Almost no chance for a SLC. The P4/5 was running in the experimental class XP with two other cars ( on of which was he second place BMW).
Likely only possible because the P4/5 is based on a production Ferrari.

No need for 7 minute laps in the 24h . Best lap was still over 8 minutes with all the traffic during race

Although i admit the thougt in itself is very tempting. How about sponsors ?

TOM

I did check the rules for the 24h. Almost no chance for a SLC. The P4/5 was running in the experimental class XP with two other cars ( on of which was he second place BMW).
Likely only possible because the P4/5 is based on a production Ferrari.

No need for 7 minute laps in the 24h . Best lap was still over 8 minutes with all the traffic during race

Although i admit the thougt in itself is very tempting. How about sponsors ?

TOM

The 24 Hour course is longer than the "Ring Time" Course by about 1:30 as it includes the GP course and the "Ring Time" course.

SLC would not be allowed as only production based cars are.

The Factory Teams esaily spend 2mm+$ on their 24 Hour Ring programs.

Serious racing.

Attachments

• 184002_10150265514373718_679098717_7431250_148194_n.jpg
    184002_10150265514373718_679098717_7431250_148194_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 309

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
The Lexus 4.0 V8 is normally aspirated, but at around 300 peak hp, it needs forced induction to turn an SLC etc into a rocket, lol. It's a light motor, but then you start adding some honeywell/garrett turbos, intercoolers, extra piping aand possible fans (a-la porsche 911) the motor weighs the same as that LS7 or Ferrari 4.3.

Though Yota motors last forever damn near. Supra motor would be a good choice. Plenty of 1000+ hp supra drag racers out there. :thumbsup:

Fran almost sold me on one of the Lexus motors.

It possible to get serious NA HP from a 1UZ-FE, it just takes cash to do...
There's some others on YouTube but here's one for example:

Erol_1UZ_Oran_Park0032.jpg

This is Toyota's LMP1 engine which at the moment looks to be the best petrol engine in LMP1. I don't think it has much in common with the 1UZ though ;)

It possible to get serious NA HP from a 1UZ-FE, it just takes cash to do...
There's some others on YouTube but here's one for example:

Erol_1UZ_Oran_Park0032.jpg

This is Toyota's LMP1 engine which at the moment looks to be the best petrol engine in LMP1. I don't think it has much in common with the 1UZ though ;)

The rules of The Ring and frankly a lot of racing makes it very hard to produce a racing engine without huge expense and development. When the rules dictate size and inlet restriction and minimum weight it becomes a game of making an engine that can make HP and Torque under massive inlet restriction. P 4/5 C's engine could easily make 650 HP in endurance tune but due to air restriction it only makes 470 HP. Keep in mind the engines you guys build for the street wouldn't be allowed in most regulated endurance racing, Grand AM/ALMS/FIA/Nurburgring/ACO etc. Frankly in the top classes (LMP1) petrol engines don't have a chance and IMO soon everywhere else non KERS petrol engines won't have a chance either. If we do continue racing next year and we only will if we have a real chance to finish in the top 5 at the 24 of Nurburgring we'll have to use a hybrid KERS system. IMO all high performance street cars will be hybrid KERS from 2014 on to meet MPG and EPA regulations.

James

Thanks for your comments on the ring time. Didn´t knew that. Even more respect needs to be tolled to your and the other top runners times.

It would be a petty if you are not returningto the ring even without a hybrid system. Peoplse loved your car and in german TV it was the most spoken of car besides the factory teams from Porsche, AMG and BMW. I have not counted but my perseption was that airing time on your car was more than on the Farnbacher Ferrari.

TOM

James

Thanks for your comments on the ring time. Didn´t knew that. Even more respect needs to be tolled to your and the other top runners times.

It would be a petty if you are not returningto the ring even without a hybrid system. Peoplse loved your car and in german TV it was the most spoken of car besides the factory teams from Porsche, AMG and BMW. I have not counted but my perseption was that airing time on your car was more than on the Farnbacher Ferrari.

TOM

Thanks!

Back