The first McKee MK1 Chevette discovered!

Hello,

Recently I took a McKee chassis with a Lola T70 body on it as a partial trade on a race car I sold. I was happy to just get a Can-am car to restore and vintage race as that is what I would REALLY like, but can't afford to just buy a really nice one.

I am delighted to find out that is is the first car Bob McKee made. The Chevette! The car came in 3rd behind Jim Hall and Roger Penske in the Chaparrals at Meadowdale in 1964. See picture.

If anyany knows more about my car's history in some way or has any pictures of it , please let me know.

Naturally I will need to fabricate a correct aluminum body for it, but it is also missing the rare original fuel injection. Factory prototype Rochester cross-ram side-draft mechanical fuel injection. Crap, like that is easy to come by.

Any ideas on a similar fuel injection system that could be had? Side draft Hilborns maybe? I guess I could put on side draft webers.

Casey

Attachments

• 64usrrc10.jpg
    64usrrc10.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 961
  • newest outside.JPG
    newest outside.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 786
  • engine bay1.jpg
    engine bay1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 774

Ron Earp

Admin
Wasn't that the fellow that indicated he had some backing for him to go F1 racing or something similar? Seems I remember a thread about that.

Hi guys,

I want to clearify one detail of the car. After meeting with Bob Mckee, and looking closer at small chassis details, it turns out the car is in fact the MK3 and not the MK1. Still quite an interesting car historically speaking. I think it did rather well considering it was completely untested before the Kohler Challenge this year. Mind you I had the oldest chassis in the field, the lowest power, and treaded tires rather than slicks to boot. I'll likely run group 5 in the future, but I just couldn't resist jumping in the group 7 ring to box at Rd. America.
Yes, I am the guy with some F3-F1 connections. While my primary investor was lost for this past season, I am currently in negotiations with another that is European based. We will see what happens.

Casey

Back