The price of an education.

First off, cars are just not my middle son's thing. With that said I have made it repeatedly clear that any time that he supects that something is wrong, all that is needed is a call and Dear ole Dad (that would be me) will be there to help him figure it out and fix it if we can. I preach oil changes, tire rotation, and the importance of a practiced ear as was passed down to me by my own father.

Imagine my dismay when I recieved a call Monday evening asking for help due a "terrible noise' coming from the front of his truck. After arriving I took a short, very short, drive in the parking lot only to hear that wonderful metal on metal sound coming from the front of vehicle. When asked how long this had been going on I was told, "about three months, but it got really bad a little while ago." In my defence, I did not kill the child (too many witnesses, very busy road), but I did recll that there was a reputable auto repair shop close at hand. I took it there and dropped it off, asking to be informed as to what needed to be repaired.

Well, there was not one spec of fibre on the brake pad at all. None, nada, zilch. They told me there was a very substantial gouge in the rotor and that it had taken quite some time to get one that bad in there. My vision flashed red again and a very devious scheme came to mind. I told them to change the rotor out, put on all new pads front and back, change all the belts, filters, and oil. I also told them to rotate and balance the tires and do a front end allignment. Total cost in parts? $197.28. Total cost to him with labor? $750.00. Total cost if we had done this three months ago? $75.00. If he won't listen to my voice, perhaps he will listen to his wallet. Looks like the money he has put aside for his new laptop has just been diverted.

Nice.

My father taught a lesson of sorts to my oldest brother, who, in his younger days, before he was even of legal driving age, used to abscond with my father's Alfa Romeo and terrorize the neighborhood and flog that poor little Alfa to within an inch of its life. Fast forward about 15 years, when my brother proudly pulls his new-to-him Porsche 911 into the driveway. He offered my Dad a ride, and Dad was quick to accept the invitation. I listened as my brother warned my Dad about the quick clutch, and watched as my Dad carefully rolled the 911 to the end of the driveway and checked for traffic. He then floored the throttle, sidestepped the clutch, launched the car and brought the rear around, kept his foot in it and powershifted into second gear, then stood on the brake just in time to stop at the end of the street 5 or 6 houses down. He turned to my brother, who couldn't believe what had just happened, and said, "That's payback for what you did to my Alfa."

OK, so it wasn't a lesson so much as it was revenge.

:)

Could have been worse :)

Attachments

• rotor4.jpg
    rotor4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 199

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
My youngest daughter learned a lesson as well. Like the coaching your kids received, Rachel did as well. Sometimes they just have to learn themselves.

She now knows (1) how long an engine will run without coolant and (2) what HER car payments will be for the next 4 years or so...

Ain't kids just special?

T.

Back