Thinking of buying a gt 40?

For those of you who might be considering taking the plunge on a GT40 you would do well to consider a CAV. OK, sure I'm biased because I own one, but a recent request for parts from the factory was met with direct emails with a staff member (Candice) who ALWAYS responded within 12-24 hours (even quicker at times) and a direct open line of communication with Jordi Ready one of CAV's high level management staff. Now that's service!

As anyone knows once ownership is made getting factory support is critical in maintaining these cars as more often then not one ain't going to walk down to your local parts store and get what you need. Its nice to know CAV support both old CAV owners (like me) and new owners alike.

Certainly something to consider IMHO.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Don't forget about the only GT40 replica manufacturer left in the USA either.....that would be RCR of course...and we have Mk1 , Mk2 and Mk4

Domestic consumables such as wheel bearings and balljoints...keeping the cars on the road in the future is all important too and being able to go to the local NAPA is a real option with our cars.

Quick and inexpensive flights to metro Detroit are easy to find, we also have an open door policy and have people through our new 30,000sqft factory daily.

We service many brands of car besides RCR with our parts that are on the shelf too.

Our NEW GT that will break cover in the next few weeks will also be a game changer in the market too....

Buy American...wink

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes but the market is miniscule and the cost of development would be tough to amortise.
My pal Chris Melia has one available in the UK already too

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Our NEW GT that will break cover in the next few weeks will also be a game changer in the market too....

Dang it, Fran, IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO A TEASER - AT LEAST INCLUDE A SNEAK PHOTO OF SOME PART OF THE DARNED CAR!!!!!!! :mad:

(Why do I get the feeling a photo of one of its shocks or a brake rotor will now appear...?)

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
And don't forget Tornado Sports cars. The Worlds Leading Manufacturer of Ford GT40 Replica cars, kits and parts.

This year is our 30th year in the kit car industry and our 25th Year of GT40 replica production.

Visit the comprehensive Web site at Tornado Sports Cars

Thanks

Andy

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yep...and two of the guys posting actually own the companies they represent...

Now thats real service and something to certainly consider

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
If CAV wants to pay to be a forum sponsor they can be as self serving as they like....I am sure there would be guys that would be happy to talk to the head guy there, here on our fantastic forum....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Relax Pat...its all good.

Sponsorship dollars keep the WHOLE forum online ...not just our own forum sections.

Maybe CAV should join up and do the same to help keep this great forum online...surely its only fair for Andy and I to be able to inform people of our products too...

Last edited:
Someone asked for the opinion of an owner. Well, I did not buy an RCR but I have purchased a lot of parts from them (radiator, fuel filler caps, door handles, end links, etc.). Every part I have gotten has been of very good quality at a better than fair price. I have never had any trouble getting in touch with RCR either. If I was in the market for another GT40, I'd be looking at RCR as my top choice if I lived in the US. You are free to email me if you want opinions on others (some good...some not so much).

Last edited:
Thirty years in business and 25 years of GT40 replica development & production says it all.

Looking forward to another thirty and to new products!

I think there are two other considerations in your decision. First, do you want a monocoque or tube frame. I wanted a tube frame because I am going to modify the suspension pickup points and that would be easier with a tube frame than with a monocoque. It seems that most monocoques come as a rolling chassis and if you just want a completed car that is more like the original, that would be the way to go.

Second, I would pick a manufacturer that can provide every single part needed to build a complete car. I realize that many people have to buy parts as their budgets allow, but having to search all over for a part seems undesirable to me. You don't really know if all the parts will fit together if they come from different suppliers. It is ok to buy parts as budget allows, but start with a company that can provide all of the parts, then you know all parts will be compatible.

With that in mind, I bought the Super Pro Package from Tornado. Obviously the companies that provide a rolling chassis can supply all of the necessary parts, but I don't know how many people just by parts as budget allows from them, it seems that people usually just get the rolling chassis. It is not clear to me that some of the other tube frame suppliers can provide every single part needed to build a complete car.

Maybe someone can comment on these points.

-Bob Woods

Roaring Forties can supply every nut, clip , part required for their car, but they supply it in build modules so you can spread the cost or just get the whole lot at once.

Back