thinking of moving to canada

hi guys
my wife and i are thinking about relocating in canada so i wanted to pick peoples brains about were to live and which parts people thought were the nicest. I would like to work the winter seasons in a ski resort (i'm a qualified ski instructor) and summers either driving hgv's or construction work. i know this may sound a daft question but am i right in saying east coast areas are french speaking and west coast english speaking, so i thought as this is a multi national site with some big voices within, what are your thoughts!
chris

Hi Chris.... me and my other half are currently in the process of sorting out emmigrating to British Columbia.

You might want to check out the british expats forum:

Living & Moving Abroad : British Expat Discussion Forum

There are alot of people on there that have moved / are in the process / did it years ago... and are thinking about it.

As far as i see it Quebec is the most French speaking part of Canada... but even then i believe most can speak english as well.

If you want to ask questions about are experience so far etc... just p.m. me!!

Dave.

Well Chris&Dave,
Being a second generation Canadian of British Grandparents and having traveled the whole country and having friends that live east and west. BC is nice , good skiing and house prices are expensive and you need to have a good job to go to. The oil sands in Alberta are always looking for tradesmen but with the oil boom housing is expensive and away from the skiing. Ontario and Quebec has skiing and some jobs but the dollar has caused most of the better ones to move south of the border.(election year US) The east coast is nice and some areas are expensive. (Nova Scotia)(New Bruinswick)(PEI)(Newfoundland) but not much skiing. You have to remember this is a big country so do your research.
Dave

thanks dave and dave for such a speedy response we looked at bc as a starting point because of the skiing and still plouging through lots of web sites offering all sorts of advise,
but thanks guys for your advise anymore is welcome (feel very green to the whole thing)
dave i will pm you if thats ok to pick your brains.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Exchange rates are pretty favorable from the UK, so if you own a home and are taking equity out of it to Canada, you have a good starting point. I woudl recommend you spend some time in Canada prior to making the leap, I've known people that sold everything only to find it wasn't for them. A visit also provides an opportunity to find out all thos little things that you don't consider, like is you HGV license going to be honored in Canada? The answer is probably not, so you'll need to figure taking commercial driving tests again.

As stated do the research up front and it will give you a good foot to start on, rather than arriving with additional worry and possible dissapointment.

I was amazed that we landed, obtained a mortgage and bought a home all in 2 weeks, but I did have a job to go to. Remember generally you have no credit history in Canada so some things may be harder, especially if you land without pre-arranged work. That availability of work may also dictate where you live at least initially, Alberta is booming with work all over the oil patch, but consequently it is also stretched and very expensive, look at the cheap areas closely as they tend to be those where there is little or no work, or so far North you freeze your butt off 10 months of the year.

Good luck,

No problem Chris. I have friends from the UK that I worked with and others that live by me. Some work for Banks, Real Estate etc. They may be able to help you out when you decide what you are going to do. From my avitar I live in the GTA(Greater Toronto Area) just outside of Toronto Ontario. You could check out the areas North of Toronto. The hills are not too bad there and you could live on a lake and use that as a base for the work that you do. Barrie,Orillia The Georgian Peaks is the ski area.
Dave

Malcolm

Supporter
Never been to east coast but been to BC and Alberta numerous time where I have family. BC gets my vote. Going again later this year!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Probably a more important question would the Canadians allow in an "already on the Road GT40 Replica"?

I have read of problems on home built cars getting in.

Still I loved the country on a visit a few years back and would consider it too! Anything to get away from the Scrooge Mc Brown and his followers.

Ian

If it's a built car it has to be over 15 years old.... from the day it was finished / Registered... if memory serves!!

yes one of the questions was about bringing in a part built car and if it would be allowed i would hate to have to sell her but like you guys say i can always start another one (provided my wife would let me it could cost me another kitchen lol) i must admit research wise b.c. seems to be the draw at the momment with various places around ski areas getting the top vote i suppose i'm at odds a little i want to be somewere cold and snowy and have a gt40, mad is the word that jumps out, thanks so far guys for all your comments their very welcome
chris

Back