Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge Friday, July 18

I am going with my Chumpcar, MR2 Biohazard and then spending the weekend instructing and doing time trials with it. I was sad not to see a RCR product there this year.

Ron Earp

Admin
I took my RCR T70 there two years running. SLCs were in attendance both of those years.

I haven't really had anything to take for the last couple of years, but I think the event has lost some of its luster sort of in the same way the GrassRoots $2XXX challenge has. GRM beat that one to death, although the UTCC hasn't reached that level of bludgeoning.

Good luck up there and have fun. Looks like the weather is going to be dramatically cooler than it has been in the last few days or in previous UTCC years.

I checked the weather - good, no rain. I need to check my Friday schedule and clear it. Won't be many MR2's there in the pits - I'll keep my eyes open and stop over.

...but I think the event has lost some of its luster sort of in the same way...

Ron, I agree and don't know why. Maybe too many other events like chump-car this and that, HPDE's and NASA drawing guys/cars/resources to maybe cheaper and likely more "fun" events for drivers and spectators - I don't know.

Yes - mid 80's will actually be nice versus 105-108 degree heat index's like in the past.

It still beats work though!

I think this might be my last event of the type with my MR2. It just does not make sense to pay the amount of money and get that amount of track time I guess. I like the wheel to wheel battles of a real race and 2 hour stints and if longer races then multiple 2 hour stints. I like the strategy, pit stops, hanging out with buddies and everything that goes with it. When I do time trial events it is over before it is really begun and then you sit and wait. It sure it easy on a car though compared to 7-24 hours straight. In those events I go through more fuel, brakes, tires and general car usage that most do in 1+ years of track events. That is part of the fun challenge.

Dodge Viper @ 1:45 & a BMW 1:53 were fun to watch. Seeing the viper fly thru the uphill esses's was jaw dropping. FFR 818r was there and I tried to speak with them, but they were too preoccupied trying to film their version of gone with the wind to talk with anybody it seemed. Oh well - so much for marketing....

The dodge viper lap was insane. The speed and grip it had through turns 1-4 and the uphill S's at 160mph+ is crazy. I would love to the the SLC in full race trim or the LMP1 do some laps as it could be faster.

I looked at the FFR cars and no one was there. They did not have a good outing though at both cars blew up on track. Not good.

The other interesting item was the Honda F1 lites type of race car. Looked really nice and cost $120K. It should be fast and runs a K type of 4cyl motor. They could not get the tune right and only did one lap, came in and took it apart. Smoke all out the exhaust the tune was way off. They tried again later and same thing. They said they have their own tuning and makes me wonder when there are 10 engineers there and can not tune a NA 4cyl engine for demo runs. hmmmmm

Back