tire recomendations and size?

have a era gt40.... it currently has 305/50r15 on the rear 245/50r15 on the front which are bfg euro's and seem hard to get.. ant recommendations on other size and manufactures...regards domenic

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You know there are a number of people that run Drag Radials on their cars - some in all 4 corners.. The Drag Radials are typically made for much heavier cars therefore they seem to take the cornering forces just fine with the lighter weights of the GT40s and Cobras that guys are running them on.
This is the option I will most likely be choosing when it comes to wider rubber on my GT40..

I'm glad you are asking the question. I have been chasing tire threads all over the forum and I still can't decide. The Avons are cool but they are very pricey. I read that the drag radials are for "straight line use" but you have a point about the weight of the car? I want 15's (295 50 15's in rear). The drag radials are street tires, correct? They were very popular at the strip a long while ago... Thanks, Jim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jim,

Indeed the Drag Radials were meant for straight line acceleration, but they are also DOT approved (for street use) which means that they must also meet minimums for lateral traction for cars that weigh a LOT more than ours.

If you look around a bit here and on some of the Cobra forums, you'll find that many people like them and some are using them at the track (twisties) as well..

Hi Jim,

Indeed the Drag Radials were meant for straight line acceleration, but they are also DOT approved (for street use) which means that they must also meet minimums for lateral traction for cars that weigh a LOT more than ours.

If you look around a bit here and on some of the Cobra forums, you'll find that many people like them and some are using them at the track (twisties) as well..

Thanks Randy. I started to dig a bit more. I'm jumping over to the cobra forum. I really wanted to get the Avon's and paint the text on them but the cost is pretty high and as I understand it they are race tires and not street legal?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Which mfgr and size did you try Jim?

Do you recall what air pressures you tried?

What tires did you have on the front?

Possibly multiple factors causing the squirm?

Yokohama AES 100's, 215-60-15 on the front, Toyo Proxes 295-50-15 on the rear. Tread pattern is a pretty close match. I believe 245-50-15 will work on the front as well. No guarantee they'll clear the wells, but you already have that size, so..... The Yoko's are stickier than than Toyos (minimizes understeer, easier on the G 50). If I remember correctly, Mike said he was running Hoosiers and said they didn't wear well but stuck like flypaper. Also, they were prone to picking up pebbles because of the gummy quality. These shown are strictly street, not intended for track days. If you want maximum adhesion, cough up the dough for the Avons or get Hoosiers and have them grooved.

Attachments

• 40 rear tire.jpeg
    40 rear tire.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 6,105
  • Gt40 vms return3.JPG
    Gt40 vms return3.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,452
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We tried Goodyears. Not so good (on the back; we have another Goodyear on the front now, and I think Hankooks on the back which are temps until we get everything else sorted out) I think I am taking the car to a show on Saturday, I'll check what I have on there now. How are the Proxes tires for the back? the tread pattern looks a lot like the Goodyear gForce I have on the front, I think.

The Toyos are an SUV tire and thus are a bit 'trucky' in appearance. But reportedly they work quite well. You can't get a matching front tire, but Toyo does offer several other tires which are broadly similar in appearance but have a higher speed rating (the 295s are only H-rated).

Maxxis also sells an H-rated 295/50-15, and a Z-rated front can probably be had. In Europe the exact same tires are V-rated, but for whatever reason, they chose to mark them as H-rated here in the USA, which prevents their use in events like the Silver State race etc. :veryangry:

I have ancient BFG 305-50/15s (which are H-rated) and Z-rated 245/50-15 BFGs on my Pantera; neither has been available for 10 years or more. After years of track days and street driving, they are hard as hockey pucks and will slide at the slightest provocation. I've been meaning to ditch them in favor of the Toyos (which, by the way, are no longer available either) but I've just been too lazy.

Besides, having hard tires serves as a sort of speed governor, which is probably not such a bad thing for me. :laugh:

Hi, I'm a rookie and this is my first post. On my Cobra, I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radials in 26x12.00R15 and 26x10.00R15. They are about 1/4 inch shorter than the original 26.5x10x15 and 26.5x8x15 but they have the same tread width and section width. They look good, hook up well, and they are radials.......
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi, I'm a rookie and this is my first post. On my Cobra, I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radials in 26x12.00R15 and 26x10.00R15. They are about 1/4 inch shorter than the original 26.5x10x15 and 26.5x8x15 but they have the same tread width and section width. They look good, hook up well, and they are radials.......

They appear to be rated H so only up to 130 mph safety window. Nice looking tyres though

Ian

hello ....thanks for all your support and advice. it is greatly appreciated. i have decided to go with bfg radial ta's... changing the size to 225/60r15...and 295/50r15 for the rear which era has recomended. if anybody wants the old tires which are 305/50r15 and 245/50r15 bfg euro ta's you can have all 4 for $100.00 the tread is about 6/32's. kind regards domenic saia

I would love to see a picture of your cobra with those wheels. In the process of buying tires! Thanks

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Let us know how they work out. I had those on my car when I got it from Safir; they are the only commonly available tire that you can get for F&R, but they don't work so well.

Those and the Avons, which are great but cost a mint.

"Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radials in 26x12.00R15 and 26x10.00R15"
I tried to take a picture but the garage is too dark - you will have to wait till tomorrow. I posted some to my album.

I thought I would mention two other options which might be available. They are the Michelin TB and the Pirelli P7 Corsa, both recently reintroduced in Europe. Neither are cheap, but they are quality tyres.

Dominic
I have 335r35/17 michelin pilot sport on the rear of my era great tread pattern.
this is the tire that came on Dodge Vipers. Love the tread pattern. the car is mostly show so the tail spends a lot of time in the air. The forward slanting tread is very cool.
Tire is no longer available. I poked a screw driver thru one of the rears and one hell of time finding a replacement. A guy in pa had two take offs like new i bought the pair.
so now i have an extra. I believe next time it will be all four tires. not much mileage but they are 8 years old. If you want to see 17's on the car goto ERA website. im under customer cars black with silver ghost stripe.
LLoyd

From what I understand, the original GT40 came with sizes (approximate...tire sizing changed since then):

Front: 245/60/15 = 26.57" diameter
Rear: 325/60/15 = 30.35" diameter

This is where I found that: GT40 Specifications

The 2006 Ford GT used tire size:

F: 235/45/18 = 26.7" tall
R: 315/40/19 = 28.92" tall

Now, none of the tires I see mentioned in this thread are close to the 28.92" mark ( the 315/35/17 for example is 26.23" tall) let alone the 30.35" one. Of course you don't have to use a tire that tall and it would increase your height a bit, but if you want to stick close to the original you might pick something else.

What I am looking at for my Gulf version of the GTForte is this:

F: 245/45/18 = 26.7"
R: 315/35/20 = 28.7"

That's very close to the Ford GT which is fairly close to the original GT40. You can get the Michelin Super Pilot Sport (I would argue that it is the best tire currently available for summer driving) in that size for about $1,500 total for all four. Not cheap by any stretch, but awesome tires and the car will handle far superior to one fitted with the much higher aspect ratio (although I am concerned about the ride height going up by about an inch). In fact, it won't even be close to some other brands from everything I have read.

Getting the 20" wheel in the proper offset might be tough though. I haven't found one yet but I'm just starting to look.

Back