To Gt or not GT? Help is the question.

Hi, I've been mulling over the different makes for the last six months and have nailed it down to the (IMHO) CAV and Superperformance.
Now I'm in limbo as to what to do:- either a brand new CAV MKI or a used (just) Superperformance MKII. both at the same price. I'm leaning to the CAV as it'll be new, in the colours I choose, centre gear change. However the Superperformance a fine looking car, the only area I'm not happy with is the gear shift is on the sill (RHD). I'm 6'2" so need to remove any obstacles for a neat(ish) mount and dismount.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.....

This site is a real help and long may it be...Have a Great and Safe New Year!:thumbsup:

CAV MK 1....BUT I'M BIASED AS I OWN A CAV. THE SPF IS OBVIOUSLY A FINE CAR BUT I THINK YOU'LL FIND THE CENTRE SHIFT A LITTLE EASIER TO LIVE WITH GIVEN YOUR HEIGHT PLUS THAT STAINLESS STEEL CHASSIS IN THE CAV WILL BE A BIG PLUS IN THE RAIN AND WET CONDITIONS FOUND IN ENGLAND. (read less potential rust issues). WHICHEVER YOU CHOSE GOOD LUCK....KEEP IN MIND WE ON THE FORUM WILL TELL YOU THE CAR DOESN'T EXIST UNLESS WE SEE IT!!!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
In my opinion Superformance although a Mk2 is not my favourite!

2 Reasons
1) More authentic in construction etc - if this is a priority it's the only way to go unless you have a lot of ££££ for a Gelscoe at £200k plus
2) Center shift should only be on a Mk3. Once you are in the car try put it in 5th then take your foot off the clutch - you will knock it back into neutral with your knee / leg (Presuming the car to be right hand drive)

That said both are great cars and if you plan to drive (opposed to garage / show queen) the CAV could be the way forward as the stainless body construction will live longer than mild steel and they can be made very comfortable with luggage etc (Small but possible), I believe more waterproof in rain etc.

Off course the above only applies if all parts are the same - same engine and gearbox combo, same fuelling (Webers or Efi), both similar finish (aircon etc), same exhaust and coating, same wheels and tyres, same brakes etc.

Ian

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm leaning to the CAV as it'll be new..... centre gear change.

I've almost always bought "used" cars because that let's the first owner absorb the cost of "newness" which, all other things being mechanically equal, to me is a meaningless abstraction. But that is very much a matter of taste and values, of course.

The superformance center-mount gearshift is cable operated and relatively simple to install; the lever mechanism simply bolts to the center tunnel with six 6 mm screws. Then you need the two cables and some brackets and bits on the transaxle which in improved form are available from Deniss Olthoff. So you could do that and remove as much of the sill shift as it makes sense to. Or turn it into a row of cup holders, or a place to store an umbrella, a la Rolls Royce.

Disclaimer: I'm a LHD SPF owner.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Regarding sill shift, if it's a concern about feeling awkward shifting with the opposite hand from what's normal for you, no worries. I have a LHD/LHS that was no issue, even guys I let drive it on occasion adapt within a couple miles. Becomes second nature in short order. In addition, it's another aspect to the GT40 allure!

In my opinion Superformance although a Mk2 is not my favourite!

2 Reasons
1) More authentic in construction etc - if this is a priority it's the only way to go unless you have a lot of ££££ for a Gelscoe at £200k plus
2) Center shift should only be on a Mk3. Once you are in the car try put it in 5th then take your foot off the clutch - you will knock it back into neutral with your knee / leg (Presuming the car to be right hand drive)

That said both are great cars and if you plan to drive (opposed to garage / show queen) the CAV could be the way forward as the stainless body construction will live longer than mild steel and they can be made very comfortable with luggage etc (Small but possible), I believe more waterproof in rain etc.

Off course the above only applies if all parts are the same - same engine and gearbox combo, same fuelling (Webers or Efi), both similar finish (aircon etc), same exhaust and coating, same wheels and tyres, same brakes etc.

Ian
Ian, thank you...I ain't no queen! Cars are to be used and that's my intention, your comments on the stainless are certainly a plus and any luggage space no matter how small would be a bonus.
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Mark

I've almost always bought "used" cars because that let's the first owner absorb the cost of "newness" which, all other things being mechanically equal, to me is a meaningless abstraction. But that is very much a matter of taste and values, of course.

The superformance center-mount gearshift is cable operated and relatively simple to install; the lever mechanism simply bolts to the center tunnel with six 6 mm screws. Then you need the two cables and some brackets and bits on the transaxle which in improved form are available from Deniss Olthoff. So you could do that and remove as much of the sill shift as it makes sense to. Or turn it into a row of cup holders, or a place to store an umbrella, a la Rolls Royce.

Disclaimer: I'm a LHD SPF owner.
I think you may have a great point....umbrella storage what else could be more practical in the great British weather!

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mark,

Here's a thread that makes for interesting reading: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/29098-spf-v-cav.html

Personally, I'd go for the sill shifter. I have a LHD center shift car so I don't have to crawl over the shifter but getting in and out of the car is a kick. It feels so racy. I imagine that having to crawl over the shifter would feel even more so.

A recurring theme of the advice I got when I was "working" to decide between CAV and SPF was to go look at some of each. It was excellent advice.

Keep us posted.

Oh, and to answer the question you posed in the title of your thread, I say "To GT."

Mike Pass

Supporter
Whilst not a fan of the Mk2 shape over the Mk1 I would go for the SPF. The right hand sill shift is not a problem. It makes little difference getting in and out and you get used to it very quickly. A removable steering wheel may help you. I have one fitted but never use it!

In my view these things like the right hand shifter, door cuts into the roof, no storage, bad rear visibility etc. are important characteristics of the car. It was designed as a race car and these little inconvenienences are part of what separates it from the boring norm. Comfort and convenience are the preserve of Porsche, Aston, Ferrari etc. The nearer you can get to the sixties race car on the road factor you can get the more fun it will be. The chassis of the SPF is nearer to the original and whilst the stainless option is tempting it is unlikely that you will be using your car daily in winter salt etc. so the SPF chassis will be fine - most road cars are painted steel and do quite well. My car has many bare ali panels which are pretty vulnerable and it manages OK, gets regular use and has been to Le Mans three times.

So on the maximum originality and hence feelgood factor the SPF gets my vote.
Cheers
Mike

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree with Mike. The reasons you get a GT40 are authenticity, performance, and the raw qualities of the car. the sill shift is not a problem; getting in and out is such a pain that the shifter hardly matters. I would lean towards the SPF car but they are both good. Get the ZF transaxle if you can. You are right to look for a recent used one- most GT40s don't get a lot of miles on them, so it saves you money and there won't be much wear and tear. Get a color you like so you don't have to go through a repaint etc. And in England, get a car that leaks less- they all do it, but try to find one that at least doesn't leak right over your head. The SPF cars are reputed to have good weather sealing from what I hear.

Stainless is less strong than mild steel and more brittle. A stainless chassis is not a plus IMHO. Stainless is great on boats. Unless you are planning on submerging your GT40, which the Forum does not recommend, it isn't a big deal.

Have fun looking and when you decide on one and buy it, post pictures. I never get tired of looking at GT40s. You'd think, after nearly fifty years, I would, but the shape never fails to delight...

Back