Toe String Alignment Ref Points

Gents

Without the body on, there are a lot of reference points to complete a string alignment for toe. Just looking to see what anyone is using to square up the reference lines once the body is on.....aka what reference point are you using to square things up?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I used the 4 center lines of the hubs in a vertical fashion and a center line of the tub on the floor. Reference points on the tub could not be relied on. Along with this I used a good angle gauge and a magnetic base laser.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Another simple alternative to set toe is to mark a white stripe around each tire with white tire marker (like a white Crayon) then mark a line around the circumference of the tire by taking a short piece of 2x4 with a nail sticking out and laying it on the floor and gently hold the sharp end of the nail against the white stripe and turn the tire until it marks the stripe all the way around. You can then use a tape measure to measure the distance in front and behind the tire to determine/set your toe.
Keith

Redneck.... But I used to keep a pair of 3/8" Steel rods about 24" long in the tool box for one car I had to adjust the toe regularly on.

I'd bungy cord them to the outside of the tire (through a wheel spoke), about 4" off the floor and level with the floor. Then run a tape measure under the car from rod-to-rod. Worked fine. Rods have to be straight and above the tire "bludge". And of coarse the rods could be anything straight and light enough to hold with a bungy. That was back when Chris had at least 1 off-track excursion a week ;)

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Laser beam to shop door? Lots of ways to do it. A scribe line on heavy truck tires ( class 8 ) in Canada works well, not sure on a 40 cause you cant us a tape from left to right

I made my own version of the string frame from Tenhulzen:

zVhnYK6.jpg

eksJ2Cr.jpg

cYCDE0K.jpg

zhPCXe3.jpg

Back