Too Tall???

Hi,

I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall. With a lowered floor pan, an i going to get on OK with a GT40. I'm sure you guys get this question all the time....

Thanks!

Graham

Graham,
You should be able to fit if:
1. You mount the seat on the floor, not on runners. This is good for 7/8" of head room.
2. You fit a Gurney Bubble.
3. You may need to modify the pedals if you have big feet.
I am 6' 2" and weigh 17 stone+ and my GTD is the most comfortable car I've ever driven - mostly because I'm lying down!
You may want to talk to Dave Bilyk or Ian Anderson, who have DAXs which are about an inch bigger all round.

Thanks Tony,

Thats much appreciated. Is it possible to mod the pedal layout in mosts builds to extend / widen the pedal layout?

Cheers,

Graham

Graham, go and see Mick Sollis at SouthernGT, his cars can accomodate you easily and are on of the best spaceframe chassis you can buy.

Graham, it is really hard to tell from just your height just how well you will fit. All depends on your proportions(upper to lower body) and your build.

Different GT40 kits have different amounts of space. Some have more height than others, some have more length and some have more width for feet/pedal box.

I know it's difficult to find a lot of different kit brands to test fit into. But maybe you can test fit into one and then get the critical measurements from the others to compare.

Also do you intend to track the GT40. A helmet adds about 2" to your height.

Hope that helps. And where there is a will, there is a way. Good luck.

In answer to your "what shape am I" question....:shocked:

Hehe, i'm average build if a little on the wide side (with only the smallest of beer bellies :) ).

The SouthernGT option looks good, but its quite an expensive one by comparison. However, the spaceframe does look to be of excellent quality.

I understand that Tornado offer a lowered floorpan option, which may help me....

I drove a 1989 Tyrell formula one car last year, and the pictures of me sticking out of it are quite hilairious... :)

Hi Graham,

Southern GT also do a dropped floor pan you can see a picture of it on my build thread SouthernGT no6.

I am intrigued by your opinion that Southern are expensive, I know I’m biased I bought one, and Mick doesn’t do a complete out the box option but that can help in spreading costs. However, when I have compared direct prices with other suppliers for example a smith’s instrument set Mick’s prices were around £200 cheaper, for a set of 7.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that info. I was comparing it to the Tornado, but i may have got my sums wrong along the way somewhere...

Its a confusing issue, as manufacturers seem to offer different package options. Your opinion would be valued as to your general biuld costs versus quality...

I'll check out your build log and post you back.

Many thanks for your help.

Graham

I am 6'3 and I fit great in the RCR. I have a 35 inch inseam and I can move the pedals so far down in the body that it is hard to work the clutch. I also track the car and have room for a helmet with a Gurney bubble. All that being said, a GT40 is a car you wear. The other consideration is the height of the dash off the floor. If the lower edge of the dash is lower than another, it will be harder to shift because your knees will hit it. I have noticed this in some gt40's. Before spending a lot of money you need to sit in what you are buying.

Dean,

That's sound advice, i really appreaciated it.

Good to see that lanky people can enjoy it as much as the "Formula One" physique's
amongst us ;)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok How Big?

As Tony mentioned above I have a DAX - they added about 1 inch to the side sills so in effect made a GT41 but for tall people that is a great thing.

I am 6'3"and fit comfortably - At one point I hit 23.5 Stone and still drove the car - although after my diet of last year much more comfrortable at 17 Stone. Width does matter too! The Side sill / fuel tanks do restrict the amount of girth measurement you can get into the car.

I have my seat on runers (so my wife can drive too) and also have adjustable pedals so could make anyone fit to their comfort requirements.

Round about my heaviest weight I did a training day at Gurston Down hilclimb course and got in the car with a helmet anddid the course but the helmet did hit the roof a couple of times. At 17 stone I recon I fit better in the seat and the helmet issue would now be a non issue.

I also have size 11 feet and can drive in trainers but they can be iffy when you hit the brake and the side of the sole hits the accelerator so I always drive in close fitting shoes that do not have a sole that sticks out the side.

Now I believe our old GT40 Enthusiast Chairman Chris Edwards is 6'5" and he made his KVA fit him - I tried it for size and actually thought the pedals were too far away!

So will you fit

YES it may take time to get you comfortable but it is possible.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Thats made me feel a lot more confident. I may go for the Gurney bubble as well for track days with a helmet...

Can't seem to find any Dax GT40's around so much these days which is a shame. It seems that GT40 replicas are, in themselves, the spirit of the original, and if the original was modified over the years for road / race and personalisation, then there is a pretty wide scope and leeway for the replicas, which is great in my book and gives good justification for the newer replica manufacturers to introduce more comfort / ease of use without losing the identity of the original. Hell, if Ford can do it with the GT, then so can we!

All the best,

Graham

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Graham

You should have no problem getting in a TS40.

If you do we have a lowered floorpan, Gurney bubble and a special seat available.

Our tallest customer was 6' 6 1/2".

If you would like to arrange a visit to the factory give me a call on 01562 820372.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Graham

as pointed out by other RCR owners, the RCR monocoque is perfect also for the lanky guys.

I´m 6´2" and have no problem to fit.
I mounted a gurney buble because i like the look and to have more space on the track wearing a helmet.

All of this can be achieved in a RCR with standard seat and the standard monocoque.
Nothing special required.

If you want to have a seat in an RCR, contact Simon ( he is in St Ives
Cambridgeshire). I´m sure he is very open to show you the car.

As i also have a RHD car you are also welcome to visit me and i could explain you all about the RCR 40.

TOM

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Graham

I forgot to say that our new Monocoque chassis has an additional 5" of legroom compared to our spaceframe.

We are sure this will give our 40 more legroom than any other.

Thanks again

Andy

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
This guy needed only a Gurney bubble to fit into a stock RCR monocoque......Seven feet tall...and his legs are pretty outstretched...yikes.

Attachments

• SEVEN FEET.jpg
    SEVEN FEET.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 7%20footer.JPG
    7%20footer.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input, It's much appreciated.

I think its a (mental) hurdle that i'm now over. I want to be at one with a GT40, not with my knees around my ears, or my head looking at the top of a windscreen. All you guys have given me great feedback, so THANKS!!!

Graham.

I think Fran wins that one, I havent even tried to get anyone that size in a 40, come to think of it, I dont think I have met anyone 7 feet tall either. Frank

Graham, you can also lean the seat back as much as possible, basically, until the seaback touches the engine bulkhead. This will get you an extra inch of headroom.

When I got my GT40 the seat was leaned so far back that upon hard acceleration the seat would press back against the engine bulkhead (just a piece of plastic with carpet on it with a bump-out for the waterpump pulley) to the point that the wp pulley was wearing against/through the bulkhead! In other words, that water pump pulley is about to rub right up against your shoulder!

I'm 6'4" and 'not slim'!
I fitted fine in my KVA without a Gurney Bubble, after modifying the drivers footwell and repositioning the pedals etc.
The type of seat also makes a big difference. Mine was quite slim, with not too much padding, but still very comfortable, and I mounted it directly onto the floor to reduce the height by an inch or so.

Leaving the seat out alltogether ( as appears to be the case in Frans '7 foot man photo ) would make a huge difference and allow an extra 6 inches or more I think.

Back