Tornado GT40 - Transaxle Options

I have been going back and forth between a couple different manufactures for a GT40 build. I was looking at RCR and now Tornado. RCR seems to have alot of adjustable depending on flavor of the drivetrain. I have been looking at the Tornado GT as of late, I guess mainly due to the price point and some general competition in the gt40 community. From what I have gathered the prefered transaxle for this chassis is the renault/audi unit. Does the chassis support any other transaxles say a 930 trans or later G50/xx box? Has anyone done one with a 930 transaxle? I have yet to see one in any of the builds back to the 2000 era. I would assume it must but would require the mounts to be relocated. It seems the weak link in most of the gt40 cars out there is a reliable transmission that can support the torque of a V8. Again just doing my homework, I appreciate any info that I may have missed.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The first question to answer is what do you intend to do with it? What power and torque will it need to handle? How much are you willing to spend?
The usual suspects are
Renault UN1 - getting a bit rarer now. Best is 21 Turbo. Will need upgrading for higher power and torque. Well known, slow change. Most chassis have suitable mounts.
Audi. Needs to be mounted higher. Gearchange input on “wrong“ side. Can be found at low price.
Porsche. My choice would be G50. Very strong. Well known. Runs inverted.
ZF. Now made by RBT. Quite expensive but is as per original.
ZFQ. Made by Quaife in UK. Mounting and gearchange is exactly the same as ZF but otherwise very different. Fast gearchange.
All can be made to handle power and torque at a cost. Any of these can be fitted by making up suitable mounts. Place the engine/box in the chassis, line up the driveshafts, fabricate the supports the the engine and gearbox mounts.
On the chassis front also check out AK Cars AK40. New owners of Southern GT design. They have now built the first chassis.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. This will be a touring car but I would like to build it to be able to track if the urge arises. I have some other vintage era race cars so Im not new to the gotta pay to play mantra. I have a fair amount of experience with Porsche so that's the reason for the 930 or Gbox option. I was reading the ZF and RBT boxes are very expensive and prone to failure when pushed to the edge of the torque limit.

I have a 65 cobra with a SBF 427 and a t56 magnum. I would be aiming to utilize a motor built to similar specs or a nascar set up that Ron McCall used on the RCR #14. That being said I know the limits of the early G50 boxes so a later 996 version would be needed or a 930 set up. I hardly ever used the 6th gear on the t56. I doubt that I will ever use the extra gear on the g50/50 plus it being quite larger the the 930 4-speed predecessor. I know the G50/00 can be found cheap and installed but can hardly take much more torque abuse then the 3.6L engine later installed with them. The reason I would like to use the 930 is the 427ci or larger engine should fall right into the wheelhouse of gearing, torque input ability, and proven concept with flipping the transaxle for this application without being on the bleeding edge of reliability or cost.

I will take a look at SGT. Thanks.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Look at the amazing Martin Potts MDA with conversion to SGT rear end with 930 on the forum build log.
I have 3 SGTs, though in various stages and vsrious engine/transaxle/427 RBT/351W&C UN1-13 etc. and the chassis can easily handle the 427 w/930. Also the uprights and the SGT suspension setup will work perfect with the 930. Now you’ll have to contact Neil at AK Sportscars who have taken over the rights to SGT manufacturing. The SGT chassis is also wider inside cockpit and can house 6ft5 tall person.

Good luck with homework
Morten

Back