Towing...

When loading a car on a trailer and using a winch, where do you recommend hooking the strap too? Front horizontal frame bar?

I do not have a tow hook built yet.

Thanks
Kevin

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Kevin,

I have found that loading my 40 is much easier tail first. There are many sturdy places to attach the winch and you avoid the problem of the low front clip dragging or interfering with the tow wire.

Last edited:
On a single car trailer i don´t think there is any other save way, as to load the a car on ,engine first ( weight distribution on trailer).

TOM

Absolutely pull it up tail first. Loads of safe places for the strap and no bodywork issues. You'll likely need to fiddle with a 2x4 or two on each ramp once the chin starts to get close to the pavement. Tail first is the only way to get the right tongue weight and stable load balance, unless you have a very long trailer.

Thank you, this helps. We will load tail first.

It is going on a three car trailer so I am less worried about distribution (only car in it) but I still think the loading will go easier as you all noted.

Kevin

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The tubular bar across the front is structural and can be used to winch the car in. The "foward/backwards" thing will depend upon the trailer, some easier one way.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
The tubular bar across the front is structural and can be used to winch the car in. The "foward/backwards" thing will depend upon the trailer, some easier one way.

If you're talking about the bar between the lift hooks.... I tried that when I had to put it on a flatbed due to a coolant hose coming loose.

If the winch is hooked to the middle of the bar, it bends.

Ask me how I know!

If you're going to use that, make sure the strap or hook is either to the far left or the far right.

FWIW,
Kirby

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If you're talking about the bar between the lift hooks.... I tried that when I had to put it on a flatbed due to a coolant hose coming loose.

If the winch is hooked to the middle of the bar, it bends.

Ask me how I know!

If you're going to use that, make sure the strap or hook is either to the far left or the far right.

FWIW,
Kirby

I use a piece of tie-down strap and tie it off to the bar outboard right and left and then loop it outside of the quick jacks.

Back