Track day tires

I will be taking off my 225 17 and 335 17's michelins for something agressive and am thinking of either the toyo or the hoosier in the 245 17's for the front and 315 17's for the rear. I do run the toyo R888 on my corvette, but am leaning to the Hoosiers.

Thoughts? Yes, I did a search to help with my research.

Tom, check out Nittos too. I got NT01's in the same size you are looking for at a reasonable price. Worked fine over 4 track days so far. I think Nitto is a subsidiary of Toyo.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Be aware of the difference in height between 245/45/17 and 245/40/17s The 40's fit mine and the 45's would not. As far as the rears go. You have picked the perfect width, 315, to get a good setup balance with a either of the 245's on the front. I am running 245/40, and 315/35's on my GT40 (GTD)

Hoozier makes the 245/40's I believe as well as the 315's. If I had not decided to build a stand alone track car (SLC) I was going to put these on a second set of wheels for my GT40.

You can't go wrong for ultimate DOT performance with the Kumhos. It's what we have been running for the last couple years on the GTM-R and we have won championships on them. They are very sticky for a DOT tire.

That said, the Hoosiers heat cycle about the same amount of times, wear less and are more forgiving. They are also cheaper.

IMHO, for a track day tire, you won't go wrong with the Hoosiers.

Note that we have heard stories about flat spotting the Hoosiers easily and that they were "slow". We have found that if we followed the Hoosier break in procedures to the letter, then the Hoosiers performed well. You must heat cycle them per the Hoosier instructions or you WILL be disappointed with their performance.

Thanks all, I'll look at the sizes of the kumhos as well. How many heat cycles can one get out of a set of hoosiers before they are done?

The 245 45 17's are the same diameter as the 315 at 25.5 inches. the 245 40 17 are about 1" shorter, I think. I believe that either will fit, but may want to go a little shorter to make sure that there is no rubbing on the outer body. Or, is this something that I shouldn't worry about?

I have decided against the Toyo R888 as I am a little disapointed in them on my vette.

We get about 12 cycles out of them. Still usually plenty of meat left, but they start going away performance wise after that.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Rubbing is exactly the problem. Having said that, every GT40 is different. Especially in the front clearance. This will depend on wheel offset, final fit of bodywork, especially the sills, final trim of wheel well arches and sill lip, ride height, spring rates, and even shock settings. If you have a 1/2" or less of clearance anywhere, lock to lock, then you will need to really check it all out dynamically. 3/4 - 1 inch or more and I think you will be OK.

What I am trying to say is a 1/2 inch taller can be a lot. Not always, but depending on your car, maybe. In any case you don't what tire rub, lock to lock, full bump/droop. None nadda.

See if you can work with a tire shop and try them on for fit without running them. You will only need to try one front tire, no balance, just fit. They shouldn't gripe at that. All you need for the other side is a tire of the same diameter.

I did mine in the end at home. Put the car on a jack at the front and took the springs (front) off the shocks. Then lowered the car until I had the correct ride height, turned the wheel back and forth, jacked it down to full bump and checked it again. Trimmed fiberglass to fit. All good now.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
This is from experience with HoHos, Toyos, Kumhos and Avons on lowish power SCCA race cars (ITS TR8, 260z and Spec Miata).

HoHo -- more ultimate grip than any other tire, but not by much over the Kumhos. 10-12 heat cycles max, 4-8 is sweat spot. You must scrub them in to get good performance out of them. Still easy to flat spot. But, durability is good. THey are slow after 12 cycles but still usuable.

Kumho -- fast, but not as long lasting or as consistent over a run (our runs are 30 minute races).

TOyos -- slower but MUCH longer lasting. I disagree with one comment above, I've never cycled out an RA-1. Always wear, and they are faster as they wear.

Avon -- crap.

So, for a track day car? I'd run Toyos due to longevity and since you are NOT racing, you don't need the last few tenths. For a race car, HoHOs with Kumhos second.

Jeff, I have been running the R888 on the corvette at the track and yes, I get quite a bit of longivity out of them. I do wish they were a little more sticky though. I am wondering however, what is your experience with the RA1 vs the R888. I understand that the RA1's are being made again. Out of the two tires, is the RA1 better?

Ron Earp

Admin
I am wondering however, what is your experience with the RA1 vs the R888. I understand that the RA1's are being made again. Out of the two tires, is the RA1 better?

I think unless you are racing the tire you'll not be able to tell a difference. The SM guys complained about the R888 when it came out but once they made some adjustments and changes they seemed to be just as fast. However, this is for a usage pattern that is 100% race duty and extracting all the tire has to offer.

I've not driven the R888, but used to drive the RA1s all the time on various race cars. I'd agree with Jeff on the RA1. Sometimes you could overheat the RA1 but you could then back off a lap and it'd come back. Long lived race (when shaved) or street/track (unshaved) tire that was forgiving and had great grip. Ultimately, it wasn't as sticky as a HoHo but years ago it lasted FAR longer than a HoHo. Hoosier's new R6 tire compounds last a long time now, but, they don't have treaded versions. That said, I run Hoosier R6s on the street and am very happy with them - just don't get caught out in the rain.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
No experience with the R888, although when they were "spec'ed" for Spec Miata most of the SM guys complained. I think though that they had a stiffer sidewall than the RA1 and required a different setup that caused a lot of the problems/complaining.

I really liked the RA1s. I had them on my Esprit and drove it on the street, and on my Exige. For a track day tire for a daily, that could be street driven, I liked them -- they are definitely an R compound track tire, but passable on the street, even in the rain.

I didn't think HoHos could be useda t all on the street, but in the dry, Ron's Lola does just fine on them. Still, for a track day tire, I'd go RA1 (I think there is a reason Toyo went back to manufacturing it.....).

Jeff, I have been running the R888 on the corvette at the track and yes, I get quite a bit of longivity out of them. I do wish they were a little more sticky though. I am wondering however, what is your experience with the RA1 vs the R888. I understand that the RA1's are being made again. Out of the two tires, is the RA1 better?

Back