Transaxle chioce

I am repowing my GT40 with a Twin Turbo 347 windsor which i will run at around 700 hp . I have removed my existing Audi transaxle and need to replace it with a stronger one . I am looking at the Porsche G50/52 at the moment but I would apreciate any help from anyone who has sugestions on the best transaxle to install

I am repowing my GT40 with a Twin Turbo 347 windsor which i will run at around 700 hp . I have removed my existing Audi transaxle and need to replace it with a stronger one . I am looking at the Porsche G50/52 at the moment but I would apreciate any help from anyone who has sugestions on the best transaxle to install

Did that transaxle being built by the Gearbox Factory in Auckland reach production? It was based on one of the Tremec trans. Do you know the actual torque figures for your engine yet? If the Auckland gearbox was torque capable it would be an easier swap into your existing Audi configured chassis as its input over axle as well.... not sure that that that is a good or the best basis to choose a transaxle on though.

A gear box that will handle that sort of power is the one Leon is building for me, with Jerico internals and a quick change rear end, he is due back fro PNG anytime and will be on here so give him a yodel. and being built in NZ you wont have any hassles etc.

cheers John

Glenn M

Supporter
Quaife have a couple of new transaxles which they rate at around 1000bhp if my memory serves me correctly.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Seems silly to rate a transaxle based on horsepower. It would make far more sense to use Torque ratings. I have an engine in my pickup truck that produces only 440 HP, but 860 TQ.
I will guarantee you that HP itself will not make or break a transaxle. However, Torque will..
Something else that I was not able to get out of the engineers at Tremec when querying them about the torque ratings of their transmissioms was:
In what gear is the rating made? 1-2-3-4-5 etc.?
Is the rating based on zero RPM (Stalled) torque loading?

I believe that One of the reasons that I so many transaxles that were made for service behind smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines seem to live is because they are not being used in super high torque loading situations.. Or with tires that will not allow that much torque to be put down to the ground... Put slicks on those cars, bring the RPM up to the peak torque and drop the clutch - bits will fly...

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Better tell us about this 347 first --- if its an OEM ford block then the G50/52 will most likely out last it, easy
Then you'll need to give the clutch pak some serious consideration
Big torque Gearboxes -- Ricardo, Albins, Hollinger, Hewland etc etc just to mention a few
Best

Hi Nigel. Im just up the road from you as it were. I have a surplus Ricardo 6-speed transaxle from a 2005 GT40 that would suit.

Back