Trinary switch question

In the picture below, one of the black/green wires on the trinary switch is supposed to be connected to the AC thermostat. The other to the ac compressor clutch. The black wires on my trinary switch are identical and don't appear to have any differentiation. Is it arbitrary? Same for the blue wires on the trinary. They're identical, but one goes to ground, the other to the fan relay.

2015-9-18.jpg

It seems straightforward but common sense says there's no way it doesn't matter which wire goes to either connection.

A.J.

Here is a diagram of the Trinary switch internals. It does matter which set of terminals are connected to fan vs compressor clutch. Each internal switch closes/opens at a different refrigerant pressure.

trinary.jpg

The other blue wire coming out of the trinary switch (on the right side in Bill's picture above) goes to the fan relay. But that's essentially ground, right? The picture I originally posted shows the white wire coming out of the fan relay, going to the "optional adjustable fan in radiator thermostat switch", then continuing to ground. But we don't have that optional switch, right? So my white wire goes straight to ground. Does that mean the blue wire also goes straight to ground? And if that's the case, why can't it go to the same ground as the other blue wire from the trinary switch? Which would save having it go through the footbox.

Thanks for all the help.

A.J.

Here is a diagram of the Trinary switch internals. It does matter which set of terminals are connected to fan vs compressor clutch. Each internal switch closes/opens at a different refrigerant pressure.

trinary.jpg

My fan relay on my GT40 is in a very difficult place to get to I take it the wire to the fan control relay diagram conects to the relay output wire to operate the fans. So could I run a fused wired from the fan input wire instead.

Also, what does this connection actually do.

Last edited:
Why are you using the white wire?

The white wire is already coming out of the relay. It came with the Vintage Air like that. If no optional switch, it goes to ground, right? Are you suggesting I replace the white wire at the relay with the blue wire from the trinary switch?

A.J.

My fan relay on my GT40 is in a very difficult place to get to I take it the wire to the fan control relay diagram conects to the relay output wire to operate the fans. So could I run a fused wired from the fan input wire instead.

Also, what does this connection actually do.

I need to clarify a bit as this is the trinary switch wiring I have so if I cannot conect to the relay can I splice the 2 wires in somewhere else and if so where.

Attachments

• Trinary switch.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 577
Whoa... ok so there is only one line from the AC clutch... does the tan ISIS wire from rear power cell connect to it or does the trinary black/green wire run back to it?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Whoa... ok so there is only one line from the AC clutch... does the tan ISIS wire from rear power cell connect to it or does the trinary black/green wire run back to it?

Trinary switch connects to the white/black wire on the Mastercell. Tan wire on the rear power cell goes to the A/C clutch.

Attachments

• infinitybox inputs and outputs.pdf
    343.3 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Back