Turkey Pan - Cold Air Box

For those of you that have crafted your on box, what type and thickness of aluminum did you use for the:
Bottom
Sides
Backfire plate

Thanx
Mark

Re: Turkey Pan - Cold Air Box In Work

Couple shots of airbox and lexan cover in work. Major challenge is fact that I have the 10 degree cant on the IDA Webers.

Attachments

• Airbox-in-work.gif
    Airbox-in-work.gif
    292.7 KB · Views: 738
  • Lexan-engine-cover.gif
    Lexan-engine-cover.gif
    232.2 KB · Views: 547

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
From the looks of what I've seen about 16 gauge or .050.

Looking good Mark! I see you put a thick piece of polycarbonate thats the best choice, it will hold up much better to warping.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
From the looks of what I've seen about 16 gauge or .050.

Looking good Mark! I see you put a thick piece of polycarbonate thats the best choice, it will hold up much better to warping.

Jack,
I don't know if you remember, but I used Lexan for the cover and it melted... Practically drooped down on top of the headers. Much as I liked it for viewing enjoyment, I ended up replacing it with a piece of aluminum.

As long as the car was moving, I didn't see a problem. When it got hot in the summer time here in Houston and I had to sit for awhile at a light in traffic, it didn't like it...

FWIW,
Kirby

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
I don't know if you remember, but I used Lexan for the cover and it melted... Practically drooped down on top of the headers. Much as I liked it for viewing enjoyment, I ended up replacing it with a piece of aluminum.

As long as the car was moving, I didn't see a problem. When it got hot in the summer time here in Houston and I had to sit for awhile at a light in traffic, it didn't like it...

FWIW,
Kirby
Yep, I still have it in my garage, was I suppose to make another? I forgot....

Look at his Kirby, its 3/8 to 1/2 thick, it will hold up.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Yep, I still have it in my garage, was I suppose to make another? I forgot....

Look at his Kirby, its 3/8 to 1/2 thick, it will hold up.

Another one like that won't fit anymore since I changed to your see through air cleaners... they are offset different than the other ones I had for some reason.
I've never actually investigated what the difference is... Yours use a different filter, for sure.

I'll need to make another cover to fit. Even the aluminum one I have now doesn't fit right. And I certainly could try the thicker material....

Kirby

Hi Guys,

I plan to do the same on my MKII meaning a Turkey pan and a rear cover.

For the turkey pan I've asked on another post the dimensions to build it but I still have no reply. (I have an 8 stack Efi Roush engine). It will be longer but I'll build it with a friend who's aware in building parts in Aluminium or in stainless steel.

For the rear cover I'm not going to use Lexan but Macrolon (the name in french - I don't know if it's the same in english). Macrolon is better than Lexan for hot temperature and mine is going to be 5 milimeters of thick.

I suppose you can find this material in the US. If it can help..

OliveR

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I suspect with replicas having various engine and transaxle combinations in addition to differing intake manifolds, motor mount height and fore/aft variances, that a one-size-fits-all-perfectly turkey pan is only a dream.

For me, I will make a template for the base and sides out of heavy construction paper, then transfer to aluminum, then bend and weld. I suspect that's the only way I will get one that fits my combination perfectly..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
For the rear cover I'm not going to use Lexan but Macrolon

Interesting stuff. Makrolon AG2677 starts to melt at 280 celsius (550 fahrenheit) which should be just fine for engine bay use as long as its not right near an exhaust manifold.

https://plastics.bayer.com/plastics...G2677_ISO/docId-79194/Makrolon_AG2677_ISO.pdf

But some grades melt far lower and so far I haven't found a Lexan that has a melting temp higher than about 150 celsius (300 fahrenheit) and it's easy to imagine that having a problem like Kirby describes.

And the US distributor of Makrolon, Sheffield Plastics, only Makrolons with a two-letter product name, and none of them seem to go higher than 150C. I don't know what's up with that.

Last edited:

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
But some grades melt far lower and so far I haven't found a Lexan that has a melting temp higher than about 150 celsius (300 fahrenheit) and it's easy to imagine that having a problem like Kirby describes.

And the US distributor of Makrolon, Sheffield Plastics, only Makrolons with a two-letter product name, and none of them seem to go higher than 150C. I don't know what's up with that.

Darn it... and here I was thinking the solution was at hand...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Darn it... and here I was thinking the solution was at hand...

I misread the AG2677 specs: the 280c spec is the melt temperature at which the injection mold the stuff. The softening temp is 143 C . Sorry.... I may be losing my mind....

In this guide https://plastics.bayer.com/plastics/emea/en/product/makrolon/docId-36207/PCS-8001_en.pdf?docPart=0 the highest softening temp I can find is for Makrolon 3206 at exactly 150C. But I'm having a hard time seeing that it matters what polycarbonate product (Lexan, Makrolon, Tuffak,...) you use; they all seem to soften within a few degrees of each other.

OTOH, some people have used clear plastic over their engines and gotten away with it (eg SteveC/P2125) although only after engineering some ventilation and wrapping some exhaust pipes. (http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/25354-upgrades-options-mods-p2125.html#post249208) This may be a close-to-unsolvable problem.

Oliver -- can you tell us exactly which Makrolon you're going to use?

Last edited:
Few pics of progress (intake holes in pass side plate just template reuse).

Gathering together aluminum welding gear and argon gas. Haven't welded aluminum before so probably will need to practice a bit first.

Attachments

• front-view-back.gif
    front-view-back.gif
    220.8 KB · Views: 388
  • rear-view front.gif
    rear-view front.gif
    227.9 KB · Views: 376
  • top-view.gif
    top-view.gif
    255.5 KB · Views: 465
  • drv-side-view.gif
    drv-side-view.gif
    258.8 KB · Views: 505
  • pass-side-view.gif
    pass-side-view.gif
    243.8 KB · Views: 437
Oliver -- can you tell us exactly which Makrolon you're going to use?

Hi Alan,

I don't know yet the type of Macrolon I'm going to use. I let this decision to a friend of mine who well knows the product.

I'll let you know once the choice will be done.

By the way, for SAAC 38 that's ok I've booked my flights and hotel. Arriving 2 of July and living 9 of July.

OliveR

Update...box complete...will reassemble soon...welds rough need to grind...

Attachments

• side-view.gif
    side-view.gif
    404.1 KB · Views: 469
  • rear-view.gif
    rear-view.gif
    298.5 KB · Views: 404
  • looking-forward-lid-down.gif
    looking-forward-lid-down.gif
    315.5 KB · Views: 426
  • looking-rear-lid-down.gif
    looking-rear-lid-down.gif
    308.5 KB · Views: 393
Since I'm going to have to resync carbs, need to ensure I've got timing right. For those engine gurus out there, what's the best total timing (mech+initial) you would use for the following motor (imagine it's 38-40 but thought I'd ask):

1966 Ford 427 Side Oiler
Bore: 4.26 inches (.030 over)
Stroke: 3.78 inches
Rod length: 6.49
Block Deck Height: 10.15
Duration at .020 is 270 intake/274 exhaust
Duration at .050 is 244 intake (14/50)/248 exhaust (56/12)
Intake maximum Lift is 108 degrees
Exhaust maximum Lift is 112 degrees
Lobe Separation is 110 Crankshaft Degrees
Both valves are open for 26 degrees
Lobe lift is 330 degrees
Gross Lift for 1.76 Rockers is .580
Valve Lash is .18 hot on both sides (.14 cold)

Just about done
- need to connect plate to carbs
- need to determine if it's worth it to trim lexan to match top of box or just leave it
- need to put in rest of bolts to hold in lexan

Attachments

• drv.gif
    drv.gif
    133.5 KB · Views: 596
  • rear.gif
    rear.gif
    127.2 KB · Views: 499
  • pass.gif
    pass.gif
    126.3 KB · Views: 424
  • drv-w-plate.gif
    drv-w-plate.gif
    133.7 KB · Views: 520
  • rear-w-plate.gif
    rear-w-plate.gif
    123 KB · Views: 485

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Since I'm going to have to resync carbs, need to ensure I've got timing right. For those engine gurus out there, what's the best total timing (mech+initial) you would use for the following motor (imagine it's 38-40 but thought I'd ask):

1966 Ford 427 Side Oiler
Bore: 4.26 inches (.030 over)
Stroke: 3.78 inches
Rod length: 6.49
Block Deck Height: 10.15
Duration at .020 is 270 intake/274 exhaust
Duration at .050 is 244 intake (14/50)/248 exhaust (56/12)
Intake maximum Lift is 108 degrees
Exhaust maximum Lift is 112 degrees
Lobe Separation is 110 Crankshaft Degrees
Both valves are open for 26 degrees
Lobe lift is 330 degrees
Gross Lift for 1.76 Rockers is .580
Valve Lash is .18 hot on both sides (.14 cold)

14 degree and 35

Back