Ultima and SL-C

Ken, the Ultima owner is a friend of the guy with the SL-C ...

That was shot soon after John got his SL-C...its currently running about 15 secs a lap faster than that now...and the driver is still getting used to the car....

Great footage for both cars though....

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Cool video, the Ultima and SLC are always going to be compared, but until someone takes the SLC to the Top Gear track and tops the 1:09:90 or gets an official 0-100-0 that betters the World record 9.4 secs held by the Ultima it's all speculation......

True that
But the Ultima has a 20 (?) year head start. I will take a while for SLC builds to get finished and get out there. Mine's no race car so it won't be setting any records .... well maybe the slowest build and most alterations. :(

I'm getting hammered with email about this video and want to clear up what it shows.

This is a track day and not a race. Both drivers take safety seriously and we are literally cruising around that track learning the line. I'm in the black car following the SLC that has our instructor in the passenger seat.

Both of these cars are the fastest thing out there as evidenced by the passes we are making. They are way faster then I am.

Which car is faster? The one with Chuck Hawks behind the wheel. He is our instructor.

Cool video, the Ultima and SLC are always going to be compared, but until someone takes the SLC to the Top Gear track and tops the 1:09:90 or gets an official 0-100-0 that betters the World record 9.4 secs held by the Ultima it's all speculation......

Seems the English press (Top Gear) favors the English car...

i hope you dont mind me editting the below which makes a very important change

Cool video, the Ultima and SLC are always going to be compared, but until someone gets an SLC uk compliant, street legal and IVAd and then takes the SLC to the Top Gear track and tops the 1:09:90 or gets an official 0-100-0 that betters the World record 9.4 secs held by the Ultima it's all speculation......

Alan,

My understanding is that Top Gear did not test the Ultima but rather, Ultima used the Top Gear test track for their video.

Alan,

My understanding is that Top Gear did not test the Ultima but rather, Ultima used the Top Gear test track for their video.

I think the main reason that Top Gear really doesn't want to test the Ultima- or the SLC- is that they aren't really production cars. Every one of them are different, often in significant ways. That makes for very difficult comparisons with real production cars, even very low number cars like the Konigsegg. And the comparison is really the point- that's why the big reveal for the place on the list where each car sits based on lap times.

The Ultima car that ran the Top Gear track represented a higher spec than many owners build, based on the PH Ultima forum, and so could be said to not really represent the "typical" Ultima. It does, however, provide an indication of what a well-developed, well-driven Ultima can do, which is interesting.

But I don't think that time would be repeatable by the typical Ultima.

I'm getting hammered with email about this video and want to clear up what it shows.

This is a track day and not a race. Both drivers take safety seriously and we are literally cruising around that track learning the line. I'm in the black car following the SLC that has our instructor in the passenger seat.

Both of these cars are the fastest thing out there as evidenced by the passes we are making. They are way faster then I am.

Which car is faster? The one with Chuck Hawks behind the wheel. He is our instructor.
Hey Ken! Glad to see you over here too. And awesome to see you enjoying your Ultima. That looked like a fun track day.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to GT40s.com

Perhaps if you had put a bit more information in the description section of your video - you would be getting "hammered" so badly..

What video gear were you using on your Ultima?

I think the main reason that Top Gear really doesn't want to test the Ultima- or the SLC- is that they aren't really production cars. Every one of them are different, often in significant ways. That makes for very difficult comparisons with real production cars, even very low number cars like the Konigsegg. And the comparison is really the point- that's why the big reveal for the place on the list where each car sits based on lap times.

The Ultima car that ran the Top Gear track represented a higher spec than many owners build, based on the PH Ultima forum, and so could be said to not really represent the "typical" Ultima. It does, however, provide an indication of what a well-developed, well-driven Ultima can do, which is interesting.

But I don't think that time would be repeatable by the typical Ultima.

The Ultima is UK IVA road legal and cant get on the show.
The SLC IS NOT UK IVA tested and as yet and would have to class against say a race spec radical for instance!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Great video guys. I can't wait to post MY SLC incar..........Maybe late next year................

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ron, I find it interesting that you equate a faily quick lap time at VIR to a well driver miata. I have found that at MOST tracks, if you can run quick Miata times you are going pretty fast. Is it because of the high state of Miata development or something about the basic design. Really good driving skill also has something to do with it I supose.

It took me a dozen track days and quite a lot of setup tuning on my GT40 to equal the miata record at my local track. Even then those lap times are right at the high end of my comfort zone. I should add that I am still on street tires and DOT slicks would easliy drop several seconds off my best lap times. Those Maitas can really fly in the right hands. Lots of very high powered cars have been run into the ground by one...........your truly included.

Anyway great video guys. I can't wait to post MY SLC incar..........Maybe late next year................

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, I find it interesting that you equate a faily quick lap time at VIR to a well driver miata. I have found that at MOST tracks, if you can run quick Miata times you are going pretty fast. Is it because of the high state of Miata development or something about the basic design. Really good driving skill also has something to do with it I supose.

Well, I only thought it it because the time was near an SM time that I know fairly well. I hate Miatas; full disclosure. But I've a lot of seat time in one at VIR unfortunately, well, I shouldn't say unfortunately that because seat time is fun time and SMs allow a lot of seat time since they don't break. SMs are usually well developed and few production cars will get more out of 120 rwhp than an SM. SMs at track days are typically driven by folks who are active racers too and I'm sure that helps a bit.

A 2:20 at VIR in a Spec Miata is hauling the mail and we've driven that in SMs we've run in the 13hr and sprint races. But even so, with more horsepower you can go faster for sure. We drove RCR's Nemesis a couple of years ago in an undeveloped state and Jeff turned a 2:09 in that car, while our RCR T70 under development has run a 2:14 with only 220 rwhp at around an 85% pace, and out Z can do 2:17s best with 170 rwhp.

The RCR and Ultima shown have a lot of potential. Well sorted GT40s with around 500-600 bhp have run in the low 2:0X range at VIR so I'm sure that is possible with this pair of cars. Just takes time to develop the car and work up to it.

The RCR and Ultima shown have a lot of potential. Well sorted GT40s with around 500-600 bhp have run in the low 2:0X range at VIR so I'm sure that is possible with this pair of cars. Just takes time to develop the car and work up to it.

I'd be surprised if a well-prepped SLC like J. Salmon's Dad's car couldn't get to under 2:00 with some development. Hitting 165 on the straights, which it apparently does now, is seriously fast, and I'm sure with some aero tweaking, lighter wheels, slicks and a fearless driver, it could lap consistently under the 2 minute mark.

I have also seen Ken W's Ultima at VIR, and it is a really well-built car, and very well specified for a track car. It is probably a little lighter than the SLC right now, and is probably geared a little shorter, which for VIR is probably more optimal than the long gears in the Ricardo that most SLCs are using. I'm sure the cars, with equal setup and equal drivers, would be pretty close.

I agree with Ron- the SLC, with just a little development, will be very quick indeed.

Back