Update on movie "Rush" (Lauda & Hunt)

Personally, I can’t wait for this one to come out. Hopefully it’ll be a worthy successor to LE MANS and GRAND PRIX.

My understanding is that the film was supported by all the pertinent parties, and has gotten the “thumbs up” by those who’ve reviewed it (including F1 Supremo…Bernie). This is more than can be said for that other rolling disaster “Driven” from a few years back (not one of Sly’s more memorable projects).

I have high hopes…directed by Opie, I anticipate a well-crafted, well-funded film. While I don’t much care for his politics, he is an excellent director, and I can’t think of a single project of his that I don’t like.

Just please, Lord, tell me that there isn’t a 3-D version in the works!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just got the September Motorsport Magazine, its the Lauda vs Hunt issue, with lots about their lives and the movie.

Ron Howard goes out of his way to point out that this is not a Documentry, its a Drama. Although for the most part, the movie faithfully covers the 1976 season, in order to appeal to a non-race fan audiance they did condense some things and added some "strife" that was not part of the 1976 season.

One thing they did change was making Hunt and Lauda, bitter rivals, when in truth, they were fairly good friends and got on well.

One interesting Motorsport article was a private screening of the filck with the Hunt family, his Mom, Brother, Son.... They liked it very much, but all commented that alithough it is a great story and good drama, it was not James, one thing they noted that the film totally missed showing how very insecure James was.

I cant wait for the film, having seen the play with the original cast, it will be great fun to relive those days.

Last edited:
I just got the September Motorsport Magazine, its the Lauda vs Hunt issue, with lots about their lives and the movie.
. . .
One interesting Motorsport article was a private screening of the f
lick with the Hunt family, his Mom, Brother, Son.... They liked it very much, but all commented that although it is a great story and good drama, it was not James, one thing they noted that the film totally missed showing how very insecure James was.
(Quote edited because of my obsessive-compulsive tendencies :) )

Jim, it is EXTREMELY hard to write a historical screenplay. We are outside the people, times, places, and cultures we are writing about. We research the heck out of everyone and everything, as best we can.

Even though our research of the characters in an historical movie may be, to scholars, "exhaustive" or "magisterial", aspects of the characters can lie hidden to all but family members. Sometimes aspects are known but to the individual himself. Mr. Hunt's insecurity is a good example of this. If we do not know about an aspect of a character's personality, we cannot write about it.

After we research, then we write the screenplay and must cram as much of the complex people and situations we found into a movie.
A film has a tiny "window" only two, at most three, hours long. Everything in the story must fit in that movie "window", that "box." Everything else must be left out. Perhaps Mr. Hunt's insecurity would not "fit" the movie's "box". So the screenwriter left that aspect of the character out or played it down.

It is an extremely hard (and collaborative--I haven't even touched on that!) process.

Then I hope the characters and events are not misrepresented in the quest for fitting things in while making it dramatic enough for its audience. I would rather the film didn't exist than that happen. History shouldn't be distorted, and people should certainly not be misrepresented, for something as silly as a movie. I mean look at what happened to mermaids, they are still struggling to be taken seriously. ;)
(By distorted I mean that movies have a way of becoming the truth in people's eyes. This worries me, not just with regard to this story, but also in general terms - what it says about people.)
If it's just another dramatic fiction then don't use real people and events as anything other than inspiration.
Also - I hope it isn't a CGI fest yet again: Cartoons pretending not to be...

I'd really like to see what the French could do with it, they have a way of making a film that I find much more involving than Hollywood's efforts. I think they might "get" formula one from that era better as well. Maybe we'll see them do a Prost v Senna film, that'd be interesting. ;)

Reckon the British film industry could still do a film that'd do it justice? Couldn't get a better place for understanding the culture.

Having become less and less interested in American film and TV over the years it seems to me that writing a movie with no experience of events/culture/people etc looks simple - take Hollywood formula story - distort facts to fit. And of course sacrifice whatever you need to to insert some ridiculous piece of CGI.
Hard bit is to convince people it's something different.

3D lol, yeah, I can see it now - unfortunately... So much promise - so annoying. Might be better if they didn't try so hard to make it obvious.

Tim.

Last edited:
I have to agree there Tim, distorting the facts for poetic license doesn't cut it for me, by their own admission thieve made James and Niki rivals, when in actual fact as you state they were very good friends, and not to show James as he was doesn't seem right to me either, as people will walk away from this film thinking that's the truth of it, when its no such thing, pity, it could have been great.
cheers John

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I've also long followed the US Apollo Project, having read almost all the books on the subject.

When I heard Ron Howard was going to make "From The Earth To The Moon" and also "Apollo 13" I had the same thoughts.......................

"From The Earth To The Moon" and Jim Lovells "Lost Moon" were and are my favorite books on the subject, I could not see how Mr Howard could make a movie about this book and make it appeal to the general public without adding "fluff".................

I was wrong!

Both shows condenced some things, and made minor changes, to help the story "flow", but they were both not only intertaining, but I think carefully kept the overall history intact.

Anyone who saw those shows about the Apollo Project would have come away with their understanding of events and historical view essentually intact.

Last edited:
I"m just hoping for a good story, well told. If the plot is entirely accurate and the subtleties of the various characters are accurate, well, that's just a plus.

For those who've watched GRAND PRIX, there are some historical aspects that are fairly closely followed...but ultimately, like all iconic movies are, it's just plain entertaining.

We're really due for a well done automotive racing movie. It's difficult to make that kind of movie in a historically semi-accurate way and also make it economically viable from a box office standpoint. Movie production companies are businesses first.....the movies must make money....so there needs to be enough popular appeal to the movie to draw in the biggest demographic as possible....this often means a love story, lots of dramatic scenes/visual effects, villians/good guys, etc.....and that can tend to diminish the historical accuracy.

But in any case, great to see a good racing movie coming out. No doubt Ron Howard has done a bang up job of making the best possible movie that can be done within the constraints of current US movie production expectations. Looking forward to it!

The recent "ARGO" movie comes to mind for me. An entertaing movie but research shows Mr. Affleck took a few liberties as some of those that were actually involved confessed to after its release. I look forward to "RUSH" and pray its not another "Drivel" er, I mean 'DRIVEN' which IMHO was absolute SHIITE!! I walked out of that one.

A friend of mine actually built several cars for this film

regards

Chris

Attachments

• steve wills.jpg
    steve wills.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Back