upside down

Hi,
For my build I wish install air con compressor
While my chassis is an old KVA type A chassis( modified à little) I was looking for a small ac compressor and I found on from Toyota aygo very compact spiral compressor. this type has no oil sump function build in contrary to classic piston/swivel plate compressor)

the best way of installing at this moment for me would be with intake and discharge ports fully down or 90° sideways

looking through many photos found this photo where (traditionnel) compressor is mounted ports down....seemed to function ...?

What are your ideas?sugestions?

many thx
Paul

Attachments

• gtd chassis en dessous.jpg
    gtd chassis en dessous.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 250397F1-B23C-4DBD-9586-28045E2E2301_4_5005_c.jpeg
    250397F1-B23C-4DBD-9586-28045E2E2301_4_5005_c.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 185

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Paul,

Do you have any more information on this pump? Compact size is a definite plus for sure.

Is it rebuildable or are installing a brand new part? Used A/C pumps are risky, you could end up doing it all over again.

Without an overhaul manual for the pump your next best reference would be to check the angle of the ports on the OE Toyota vehicle.

Plumbing is always a challenge in GT40 replicas, big engine - tight firewall clearance - radiated heat from the headers - size and type of fluid couplings - bend radius of hose and tubing etc etc. Take your time planning it all out.

I can see the attraction of mounting the pump in the most convenient angle, however if you don't absolutely know the pump will work at 90 degrees or inverted I'd advise against it. Also make sure your bracket work holds the pump with a true belt path or the clutch and or pump will be short lived.

There must be a service procedure for recharging the A/C system regarding how much refrigerant to use and PAG oil to be added if required. If there is an oil fill or drain port on the pump it requires PAG oil in the pump body. That amount of oil stays in the pump, unless you mount it upside down or over recommended angles.

Sorry I can't comment on your specific pump however these suggestions should keep you out of trouble

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian ,
Their is here in Europe à joint venture between PSA (Peugeot Citroen) and Toyota building small city car called Citroen C1 or Peugeot 107/108 or Toyota Aygo in think in Czechoslovakia
its based on spiral compressor like the Volkswagen G-loader on the golf G60
its quit small can accept higher revs and pumps 60cc fixed capacity
its small for sure , perhaps on your market you can find similar on Honda Suzuki Mitsubishi etc
I selected this one because available here on the market its fixed volume and standard clutch off /on

will be still a chalenge to get properly installed
Paul

Back