Vacation usa

Dear all

I will spend my summer vacation with my family(wife and 15 year old daughter) in the west of USA.
This is the planned schedule:

Arrival in LA 21.08
till 25.08 LA Area
already have booked the Hotel in Marina del Ray. Besides the family topics i would like to meet with some intererrested forum members and visit some cool hot rod shops. your recommandation please

on 26.08 we will leave LA direction north. With a overnight stop in Pismo beach. Any idea if i can rent a dune buggy to drive into the dunes ? Also a recommandation for a good bed and breakfast would be very welcome.

27.08 will be spent in Monterey area (unfortunately LS is closed for maintanance) recommandation for B/B welcome as well.

28.08. we will arrive in San Francisco. Unfortunately the hotel i would have like to book ( best western lighthouse directly at pacific coast) is already booked out. Recommandation of a similar hotel outside SF (coastal area) or a nice B/B will be very welcome . Stay in SF is planned till 31.08.

We will leave for Yosemite and stay there till 01.09 leaving for Fresno to stay overnight there and arriving in Las Vegas on 02.09. to stay there till 04.09.

Than leaving for Cion to stay there overnight recommandation for a good bed and breakfast would be very welcome.

on 05.09 we plan to be at brice Canyon, on 06.09 at Page Monument valley area on 07.09 we would like to visit the Grand Canyon and than take the drive back along the old route 66 to LA, our flight is leaving 10.09 late afternoon
along this 5 day route recommandations for a good bed and breakfast stays would be very welcome.

If any of you is along this route or close , i would be happy to meet and spend a few hours together , talking some gas (hey 20 days shopping and sightseeing need some distraction for myself:thumbsup:)

Thanks for all your help and input

TOM

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I've been to all of those places except Yosemite, and Pismo. Yosemite is amazing though.

Here's what I can add:

Zion is SPECTACULAR. My favorite park in that area. Be sure to do Angel's Landing (I won't ruin the surprise for ou, just do it) and as much of the Narrows as you can.

The Park Service lodge in Zion is really nice, fairly inexpensive and the food is good. Stay there if you can. Otherwise, you are either staying at the hotels in Springdale at the West Entrance to the Park, or the Thunderbird Hotel about 10-15 miles from the East Entrance. There isn't much else out there.

Bryce is nice but you only need a 1/2 day or so there.

From where you are, you are best of going to the North Rim of the Canyon. It's different from the South. One way road in, stay at the North Rim Lodge (amazing stone structure on the Canyon Rim), etc. You are on a side Canyon and not the GC itself, so the views are very different from the South, but the South is a LONG way away from Zioin/Bryce.

book lodging NOW! It fills up fast, especially the North Rim lodge.

Plan to come see Howard and I...we will geographically fit in between San Fran and Yosemite. We will bore you with tales of daring-do...OK well maybe bore you with our SLCs...

I have seen the sunrise at Bryce and the North Rim, both spectacular. Great old lodge at the North Rim. I agree Bryce is a .5 day deal, didnt get to spend near enough time at Zion.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

We live on Skyline Blvd, Highway 35, two miles north of Highway 9, one of the all time great driving roads between Carmel and San Francisco, with views from the Pacific Ocean to Silicon Valley. Masa only lives 10 or 15 miles from here, Howard is not all that further. We would be happy to host a BBQ. Either way,we would love to see you.

Keep in Mind, the Monterey Historic's/Pebble Beach are August 17-19, with Shelby the featured mark. It would be a shame to miss this by only a few days. If you can work it out, I highly recommend this event.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Oh Jim, you made me laugh. Keep mispelling his name, keeps him in check, lol.
We don't want him rising above his station....

Hi Tom,
I would recommend the Seven Gables Inn when in Monterey. It is in Pacific Grove about 1 mile from the aquarium etc. Pacific Grove Hotels in Pacific Grove Inn Monterey Bay | 7 Gables Inn . Also right across from the water looking over Lover's Point. Due to the close proximity to the dates of the Monterey Historic race you may have some difficulty getting hotel reservations. I suggest calling ASAP. While there eat breakfast at either at First Awakenings First Awakenings or at http://www.hollyslighthousecafepacificgrove.com/index.html fantastic breakfast to start the day.
If you get a chance I would suggest while in SF Bay area you see if you can get by Canapa Designs. Canepa They restore and sell vintage race cars. If you call ahead should be no problem getting in.
Lastly, if you are near the Sacramento area on your way to Yosemite I could likely get you over to my friends house to show you his toys. It isn't a museum or anything but he does have an original USRRC Cobra, Dan Gurney's Pacesetter Lotus 19B, '69 Boss 302 Trans Am car and a 1966 Shelby B-Production mustang.

And do try to get by and see Howard and Mesa. They don't get any nicer than those guys. You will truly enjoy putting back a few beers with them.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Charlie,

When ever I see him, he gets on me for spelling his name wrong.

As you can tell, i am capable of miss spelling almost anything. I swear to God, last Valentines day I miss spelled my wife Frances, name. This is a person who I have known and loved for over fourty years.

Luckily she knows me better than anyone. She thought it was funny!

Now back to travel plans.

Last edited:
Thanks for all those informations

Mesa, Howard, Jim,

checked your location on the map and it looks like a perfect fit. Would be great to have a BBQ with you guys and take a look at your cars. evening of 30.08 would be a good date.
Jim how long is the drive from you to any tourism attraction in SF. looks like a nice area to stay, would you have an reco for a affordable Bed and breakfast close by. ( dfreemans reco in monterey is very nice, but way out of my budget).

If any of you would be obliged to show us around SF that would be a boomer

THanks
TOM

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Tom,

I know you're not swinging this far north but please know you have an open invite. Drop a line and feel free to stop by.

I can't help you with lodging but I can tell you that Page/Monument Valley (actually anywhere you won't be at altitude) will be HOT in that timeframe.

I can agree with Mesa and Jeff that Zion is spectacular but I wish we had spent a little more time at Bryce (arrived one afternoon, one full day and the following morning). Hike into the amphitheatre when the sun is lower on the horizon (we were there in Nov) and catch the sunrise at Inspiration Point. Be there early. The place is magical.

Angel's Landing is unbelievable.

While you're in Page, rent a boat for a day and check out Lake Powell. There are some SUPER COOL slot canyons you can only boat up to and since you're there, don't miss Antelope Canyon. It's that canyon you always see in slot canyon pics. It's a little spendy to get in but it's on the Indian reservation so you get to just deal with it. It's a fairly short hike so the ladies shouldn't be too bored if they're not into it.

Looking at your itinerary, it seems like you've got a great handle on things to do and see. If you're heading back on 66, I am willing to bet you'll be passing through Flagstaff as well? It's a cool little old town/downtown and there is a really great hike up Mt Humphrey just outside of town if you're up for it (from 8,000' to 12,600'; ~4km). ENORMOUS views (even back to the Grand Canyon if it's clear).

It's a great corner of the world and it sounds like you've got a good bunch of stuff lined up. Enjoy!!

Chris

Pics:
Bryce from Nov '11

Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon from Nov '08

Lake Powell, April '08

Great pictures Chris, you really should try and get out of the house more often LOL !

Tom, I would offer to be your guide through SF....except I don't know much about the place! I spend all my time somewhere else, the only time I see 'the city' is when I used to drive through in the wee hours going to Sears Point to race or to some other remote adventure. I can tell you it's beautiful from the Golden Gate in the morning.

If you're driving North from LA to Monterey along the coast on Highway 1. there's an interesting detour via the Old Coast Road in Big Sur. Instead of taking the Bixby Bridge across the bay, you can head inland along the old stage coach road. It can be a bit scary (the road is unpaved and the drop offs are very steep), but you get to see a variety of environments. You go from red dirt and scrub brush down into a redwood forest and then back. It's worth bringing food and having a picnic among the trees.

Search Google for descriptions of the "Old Coast Road " and how to find it (it's very easy to miss).

The first two interesting pages I found are:

Old Coast Road – Bixby Bridge to Andrew Molera « California Photo Scout
Pedal! Damn it!: Old Coast Road Ride

Another place to stop along the way between LA and Monterey is the Hearst Castle (if you ever saw the movie "Citizen Kane", this was the inspiration for the castle in the movie). You'll have to buy tickets for a tour if you want to see the castle.

Hearst Castle

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

You and you family are welcome to spend the night at our house on your way from Carmel to San Francisco, we have a fairly large house on 15 acres and Frances makes a pritty good breakfast for a CEO.

Hopefully we can get Howard and Mesa and any other folks in this area to come by for a BBQ.

We will keep an eye out for a good Bed and breakfast further up the Peninsula, toward SF.

Depending on my work, I would love to show you around "The City". Keep in mind that San Francisco is not a very big place, only around seven miles square, with water on three sides and much of it is residential homes.

As for Carmel, when I was growing up, we would often stay in Carmel at a little B&B on Ocean Avenue (the main Carmel street) called the "Lamplighter". I think they are still operating. You will love Carmel! Be sure to make it down to the beach, it has the best sand in the world, it's like powdered sugar!

Last edited:
Tom,

You and you family are welcome to spend the night at our house on your way from Carmel to San Francisco, we have a fairly large house on 15 acres and Frances makes a pritty good breakfast for a CEO.

Keep in mind that San Francisco is not a very big place, only around seven miles square, with water on three sides and much of it is residential homes.

OK Jim,
What's for breakfast???? Missed talking to you on Saturday, all wrapped up in the Ultima that was there, nicely done.

Let's see - tourista things to do.... The Warf, Alcatraz, Cable cars, The Fort under the bridge, Walk across the bridge, The museum built by Mrs. Spreckles Sugar (what is it called?) It's supposed to have quite the art collection and is an impressive site..... although, most of these things I have not done either.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

Yes that Ultima is very nicely done, someone put a lot of time into that one!

I figure we can talk to Tom and his family when they get here, to get an idea of what parts of the city might be best for them.

I hope you, Howard and anyone else can make it up for a BBQ when they are here.

Tom,

Really, if you can find the time, you should consider spending a day or two at the historic races (Laguna Seca, near Monterey). The turnout should be fantastic, and I imagine a fair number of forum members could be found wandering around.

Ron

HI,

back from my wonderful vacation in the west of US. Everything worked out fine, we had perfect weather and gained a lot of new and nice experiences.

One thing realy stood out in this 3 weeks was the exceptional friendly welcome by Jim Craik and his wife Francis. They had prepared a nice BBQ gathering with some very nice people. Got to meet Rob Mesa and Howard Jones there. Very nice people and i would like to thank them for the opportunity to meet and talk.
Jim and Francis also had preparred some very nice rooms to stay overnight in there beautiful house ( with an absolutly astonishing view down to San Jose).
I had some organisational issue on the way and Francis helped me out with exceptional support.

Thanks for all your support and help and hopefully i can give back some of the hospitality i received.

ALso thank you all for the informations provided. Chris, the idea of renting a boat at Lake Powell has been one the the best things to do within the whole trip. Had rented a 300 HP 21´skiboat from Antilope point marina and spend the whole day on the lake enjoying going into the canyons, swimming and relaxing.

THank you all

Tom, Helga and Ramona

Back