Valve stem seals

Brian Magee

Supporter
I have just removed one of my heads (289 HiPo) to investigate why my engine smokes and have found the problem. Only one of the valve stem seals on this head is in the correct position, the rest have come off the top of the valve guide tube and are floating up and down with the valve. These are white seals of some type of hard plastic (Teflon?) and have a coiled wire around the top section and a split band around the bottom.

My question is are these a press fit onto the valve guide tube or should they be glued into position. Also is this the best type to use or is there a better alternative?

Brian.

I have just removed one of my heads (289 HiPo) to investigate why my engine smokes and have found the problem. Only one of the valve stem seals on this head is in the correct position, the rest have come off the top of the valve guide tube and are floating up and down with the valve. These are white seals of some type of hard plastic (Teflon?) and have a coiled wire around the top section and a split band around the bottom.

My question is are these a press fit onto the valve guide tube or should they be glued into position. Also is this the best type to use or is there a better alternative?

Brian.

Brian,
sounds like you have what used to be called the "Perfect Circle " seals, now everybody makes them.
The most popular size fits a guide with an OD of .530", all the guide machining tools for these seals are this size. What it sounds like is you have your heads reconditioned with .500" OD press in guides, the .530 seals fit quite nicely over the .500 sleeves but don't grip, they should be really quite difficult to fit.
If this IS the case you can get the same style seal, which, in my opinion, ARE the best, in a .500 size.
Mike

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Mike, Jac Mac

Thanks for you quick replies. I have gone through my old invoices (1997) and they are Comp Cams .530. I have measured the one guide I have removed and it measures 12.5mm
which is .492 so I will fit a set of .500 and see if that does the job.

Thanks for your advice.

Brian.

Back