Very interested in an SLC

Hi, I've been lurking on the forum for a month or so, you people seem very helpful. I finally finished reading the 962 twin turbo 440 Dart thread. Cool stuff! I want to visit RCR, and being in St. Louis is not too far a hike. I am very interested in an SLC.

My track experience: I was 1999 Eastern region champion in the Michelin Challenge (Viper) series, Supermodified class, with my '96 GTS coupe. The motor was stock (under warranty!) but I was in supermod because I ran wider rubber up front, Porsche GT2 brakes, a light flywheel, and a few other mods.

In 2000 I was building a '54 Corvette for Silver State Unlimited but had a stroke and my wife cashed out. Since then I've finally paid off my divorce and gotten back on my feet both literally and financially. The recent deaths of several friends from cancer (on top of my own new minor aches that I HOPE are just old age) has made me schedule a full physical and battery of tests to determine how much play time I likely have left. Life is not a dress rehearsal...

I've bought an Isuzu N-series truck and am looking for a 17' rollback to put on it. I'd like to get back on a roadrace track if I can, even if it's only for a little while, and trailers are too much work for me at this point.

I love reading about what you guys are doing with your cars, and I want to meet Fran and see his operation. I posted this here and not the new members section as I don't have a GT40 or any plans to acquire one.

JR

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Welcome John....

glad to hear your racing spirit is back ..

Feel free to call anytime..

These guys on here are a good bunch and always love to talk ...

Hey JR, welcome to the forum. Please do visit Fran and the gang at RCR.
I will personally guarantee your amazement! The SL-C is real jewelery.

Welcome John!

Quite a few ex-Corvette and Viper guys who've shed those in favor of the SLC. In a former life.....I had some fun with both of those marks on the track. Glad you're "on your feet" and may soon have one of these in your shop!

Ditto, welcome John. Happy to hear you've overcome your setbacks and looking to get into a SLC. As Jack said, visit the factory in Clinton Twp Mi. It's like a candy store for adults.

John,

Just come over and see one for yourself! Your probably only an hour away. I have been a client of RCR and Fran off and on for a while now. I would be happy to spend the afternoon going over the SLC and talking about RCR. It sounds like you have a lot of experience on the track and I would love to get your impression of the car first hand.

Send me a note when you want to come and check it out. It might save you a trip to Detroit.

Dean

A very kind offer and I would like to take you up on it. I must add that although I have a fair amount of track time, the stroke paralyzed my entire right side for a while, and the speed of everything on my right side is permanently much slower. I don't think I'll ever be competitive on a roadrace track again, unless all the other drivers are complete rookies.

That said, I don't think I've completely forgotten what a good chassis setup feels like...

I got my flight medical back in 2002. Here's a couple shots of me in the Oshkosh 2005 winner of Champion Plans-Built:

Pitts.jpg

and
TN_030208p_VertForHammerhead.jpg

Pitts Model 12.

Since Hale Wallace died, Steen Aero Lab is now run by some computer guys that IMO don't know much about airplanes. IIRC they persuaded Curtis to "design" a proprietary plane for them, the Model 14, which was a sort of dumbed-down Model 12 without the boosted ailerons and symmetrical wings. Curtis died from complications following heart surgery when the plane was just a bare fuselage.

For several years Steen Aero hauled the fuselage around to shows, trying to drum up interest. I don't think the prototype ever got built, and Steen's website just shows computer drawings of it. The plane's build log hasn't been updated for over 5 years.

Here's a link to Jim Kimball's site. He and his son Kevin build and restore award-winning aircraft full time. Kevin worked with Curtis to refine the Model 12 from its original form and they hold all rights to market plans and kits for the plane. IMO the Kimballs are the best in the world at what they do.

Jim Kimball Enterprises

Last edited:
John,
I've been out of the Aero stuff for a very long time. Built three RV4's from plans back in the late 70's. Happy to hear the Kimball's have the rights for the kit. They are really the best. Great reputation. That model 12 is a true "Hot Rod"!

Had a great time last night looking at Dean's beautiful car. Dean was extremely generous with his time and knowledge.

Our visit was not only very enjoyable, but FAR more productive than we ever expected.

I, on the other hand, need a different seat and the non-race steering column, at a minimum. Dean mentioned I'd burn to death in a fire when he saw me laboriously extracting my fat crippled ass from his car.

Beautiful garage, too...

JR

John,
You will find that most of the SL-C Clan are very helpful and generous. Dean is doing a fantastic job on his build, glad you enjoyed your visit. The 4 way adjustable steering column will plug into the new ISIS electrical system as standard now.

Back