vin # plate location

The Kansas Highway patrol installed one on the frame rail of my NA car, in the engine compartment.
I'll try and post a pic.
It's on the tube that supports the rollbar, right above the battery>
34957778-bfb6-02000180-.jpg

He told me all I needed was the one ID plate for a "specially built vehicle".,,,,,,,but I suppose you could also put one on the top corner of the dash like most productgion cars too,,,if you wanted to have 2 badges?

In John S. Allen's book "GT40 The Legend Lives On" there are several pictures that show the small badge (1 x 3") placed on the firewall just above the driver's (RHD) right shoulder near the corner of the cockpit rear window. I placed the bigger badge on some frame in the engine bay like on Alain's car.

I have seen the FAV plate mounted on the inside firewall over the drivers shoulder (right hand drive) on an original car.

Paul, it looks like you have picked up a hitchhiker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lets hope those soles are heat resistant.

Does anyone know where you can buy copies of those original plates from? Somewhere in the US will do? I've been searching various Cobra parts suppliers.

Thanx for the info. Iam close to registration stage.Am putting edging on lenses and lites on .

Ron Earp told me that someone on the site was making them and selling them for around $10.00. I saw them when I was at his house. I'd like to get a set for my car also. Hey Ron...are you out there?

Dan.

I saw the thread too just a week ago during a search. I sent him an email inquiring about them. But he hasn't responded. I hope he can make some more as I would really like one for my upcoming build.

Bill

there was a guy named Ben Miller selling them. I bought some thru the forum and they are very good. It was some time ago and I'm not sure if I bought them from him.

Bill D,

Fran Kress had VIN tags for sale. Ben Miller as well.

IMHO, Ben's tags are MUCH nicer!

I have both, as well as a JWA tag, which Dick Townsend was

kind enough to send from across the big pond.

Thanks again, DT!

I'm not sure if Ben still has the tags for sale.

His contact details should be available through

the "User List".

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Those are Ben's I got and they were very nice, as you saw Dan. Someone find his user name and post here, was it just Ben?

Just checked...Ben Miller is not on the user database anymore. His posts now have that donotdelete alias. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Craig,

Ben's e-mail is: [email protected]

His profile is still there, listed under B for Ben, not M

for Miller.

Plate delivery was fast, they were EXTREMELY nice, and very

reasonably priced.

Maybe if you ask nicely, he'll do another run of plates.

Since this forum has grown so much over the past year or

two, I'm sure that with more and more cars on the road,

the demand for VIN plates is higher than ever before.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I've emailed Ben and queried him about quantity required etc to make a run worthwhile. And will post back here about it. I expect a few guys from local club here would also be interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben makes a very nice set of VIN plates. A picture is attached. They are a great finishing detail. One interesting side effect is that Ben's VIN plates will change the first question of onlookers at car shows from "What is it?" to "How fast?"

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, that's what I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've already got a reply from Ben, he was very prompt. He still does them. Woohoo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They are a great deal. He even engraves the VIN number for you if you like.

Just seeing what information he wants posted here. He might even post it himself. And I want to clarify a few things.

Will post back as soon as I get a reply from Ben.

Craig,

You should see the looks from the guys at DMV, when they see these plates! It's like the King(Elvis)walked into the building! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Little do they know............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
My favorite quote from the guys at DMV is,"This car is 40 years old, and looks better than anything on the road today."
Well, they're right,of course(on half of that statement)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill

Back