Vintage Pictures

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hello All,

I've been searching for a picture I've seen of an early Ford Econoline van pulling a trailer with one of the prototype GT40s. Can anyone refer me to a book that has that picture or does anyone have a copy of that picture? Thanks,
Pete

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I have almost all the Shelby photo archive and have never seen the econoline van (which was used by the driving school) pulling the GT. I've only seen the Foed trucks. I'll check today.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It is in Ronnie Spains GT book. The photo is of the Slough works, not Shelby. Ford sent an Econoline (LHD!) to the UK for FAv to use as a shop truck.

Imagine towing a GT on a single wheel trailer behind a van with a 170 cubic inch, 115 HP straight six, "three on the tree", marignal drum brakes and NO trailer brakes! Sounds like fun to me........

This may be the picture you are thinking of. It is very similar to the photo in Ronnie Spain's book but a bit different. I don't know the source but it may be FoMoCo.

Attachments

• Ford_GT40_GT101_April_1964_Heathrow_0005.jpg
    Ford_GT40_GT101_April_1964_Heathrow_0005.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 767

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the replies.....that's the picture alright. it's not enough that I'm building a car but now I have to add the van too.:stunned:

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
You are so right Jim. It happens I have a 65 Econoline Pickup. I swapped in a '69 351w, automatic, disc brakes and posi 9 inch diff. All this is going into a good body '67 van. My poor truck body is hurting and too far gone. So I figure might as well mimic this photo.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I had heard there was an Australian version but don't know anything about them. Can anyone tell me what year that GT40 is in the picture? is it one of the prototypes? The picture says 1964.

Nice touch with the racing stripe running around the van ala GT 40. The little Austin A 40 watches in hopes he too might grow up to be such a car star! Great photo. Can you imagine how those chaps would have looked at you if you'd have told them "careful gents, this car will be worth millions!" :stunned: :stunned:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Nice touch with the racing stripe running around the van ala GT 40. The little Austin A 40 watches in hopes he too might grow up to be such a car star! Great photo. Can you imagine how those chaps would have looked at you if you'd have told them "careful gents, this car will be worth millions!" :stunned: :stunned:

I wonder how much that car was worth back then? What did Ford spend on the GT program to that point?

Back