Vise

Steve

Supporter
I need to get a vise for my workbench. Any recommendations? I see a huge variety of Wilton and other vise's and, frankly, can't tell much difference.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Steve

I personally would get the biggest and heaviest duty one you can afford.
No matter what job you are doing they are never big enough to hold the job you want them for.

If possible make sure that they have an anvil area that you can use for, hammering,flattening massaging, various pieces of steel.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dimi

Steve:
Those wilton vices are big bucks, like $300.00, look in BJ's or some of the other club stores, or I hate to say Harbor freight, and you will find the chino equivalent for about $50.00 .
I bought one with swivel and tilt for $49.00, and its mounted to a solid workbench now for about 8 years with no problems.
Cheers
Phil

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Steve -

I went with a 6" Craftsman vise from Sears. It is made in China but appears to be very good quality.

Dave L

Ditto what Dimi said. Get the biggest and heaviest-duty vise you can afford/accommodate on your bench. There's plenty of times when you really want a bigger vise to hold the thing you're working on.

It's helpful if they both rotate and tilt, have pipe jaws below the main jaws, etc. I bought an 8 inch Craftsman and still broke it....

Hi Steve some good reading here, Everything you need to know about bench vises... - The Garage Journal Board
Check these out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_all?ie=UTF8&index=blended&keywords=forged%20bench%20vise&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001T9J68I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0R043ZCGFCVEQ13XMVHS"]Amazon.com: forged bench vise[/ame]
According to the site these are Ridgid vises are made in Germany and are Forged. I have a 5" REED that was made here in Erie that I got used over 40+ years ago that we have not been able to destroy and it has pressed more U joints then I care to count. I keep my eye out at auctions and Garage sales for the good ones and pass them on when someone I know when they need one. I have 3 mounted in the garage right now and they are all made in the USA.

I bought this vice about 35 years ago. Am still using it without any problems. The width of the jaws are 6 inch. Notice how it is fabricated from what looks like mild steel. I once broke off completely the top jaw of a vice that was made of cast iron. If I ever need to buy a vice again I would go for this type again.

Any how this is my 2 c

Z.C..

Attachments

• 80-30.jpg
    80-30.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 484

Howard Jones

Supporter
Look on Craig's list or other stuff like local estate sales. The biggest/heaviest you can get. Mount to a huge bench. I use a huge vice with 10 inch jaws that open a foot at work that weighs at least a 100 pounds. It is mounted on a steel table 4 ft by 4 feet and a inch thick. The whole thing must weigh a 1000 pounds. Sometimes it's still not big enough.

You can always get a small one later for fine work, mount it on a plate and hold it with the big one if necessary.

Go for big and used.

Back