Warning for a virus/trojan.

Rune

Supporter
I will just warn you all for a virus called "CTB locker"(take a moment to google this and see what it do), it crypted all my files on my computer including everything I had regarding gt40. I had everything a back up disk connected if my computer crashed, but I did not see this comming, so for everyone of you out there , take a backup of everything important and disconnect that harddisk from the computer.
I was lucky to have most of my car things also on a other pc so I was not complete on scratch.

Rune.

Keith

A quick search revealed this:

CTB Locker is delivered through aggressive spam campaigns. The e-mail message pretends to be related to a FAX message that needs your immediate attention. When the e-mail is accessed, the potential victim is asked to download and access an attached zip file.

So basically, it is not an inert threat as such as it does need your positive co-operation and input before it becomes active. There are CTB Locker Removal Tools on the internet but it would seem best practice to avoid emails described above...

Thanks for the heads-up Bune...

Keith

Maybe we're the only ones dumb enough to open it. LOL

Yes, I am forced to admit that perhaps this is what Randy is inferring here....:blank:

Of course, I have the power to move it back, but I'm not match fit enough to be jumped on by a Supermod.....:sick:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Why the Paddock? Surely this issue affects everyone, not just grumpy old gits... :shrug:

Could it be because it was in the "All GT40" forum and has nothing to do with Gt40's? :stunned:

Yes - I bet it was.... :thumbsup:

Don't worry - I'm not jumping on anyone here.... It's good information but like all virus of the sort (zip files / other attachments) - they could be named DOG or CAT or anything else...

I deal with information security on a daiy basis at work and I see all sorts of stuff that would make your hair stand up (and maybe a few other things)... :stunned:

I have a rule - unless I am expecting an email from someone with an attachment, I never open it. I will email them first to see if they REALLY sent it to me... 99.999% of the time the answer is NO!

I have another rule -
If my bank or healthcare institution sends me an emai with a link - I NEVER click that link. I will open a fresh browser the navigate to that place and check my messages / account / etc. manually....

Be smarter than the crooks... Change your passwords frequently and make them strong. At least one special character, at least one uppercase alpha character, mixed numerics and a total of eight characters or more. We are actually advising people to use pass-phrases now.
Example:
"My 3rd dogs name is Wilbur and he was 9 last year" <~~ used for password
Do you have any idea how long it will take to crack that?

Keith

Could it be because it was in the "All GT40" forum and has nothing to do with Gt40's? :stunned:

Yes - I bet it was.... :thumbsup:

Don't worry - I'm not jumping on anyone here.... It's good information but like all virus of the sort (zip files / other attachments) - they could be named DOG or CAT or anything else...

I deal with information security on a daiy basis at work and I see all sorts of stuff that would make your hair stand up (and maybe a few other things)... :stunned:

I have a rule - unless I am expecting an email from someone with an attachment, I never open it. I will email them first to see if they REALLY sent it to me... 99.999% of the time the answer is NO!

I have another rule -
If my bank or healthcare institution sends me an emai with a link - I NEVER click that link. I will open a fresh browser the navigate to that place and check my messages / account / etc. manually....

Be smarter than the crooks... Change your passwords frequently and make them strong. At least one special character, at least one uppercase alpha character, mixed numerics and a total of eight characters or more. We are actually advising people to use pass-phrases now.
Example:
"My 3rd dogs name is Wilbur and he was 9 last year" <~~ used for password
Do you have any idea how long it will take to crack that?

I'm liking that idea a lot!

Example: "Have you any Idea How Much £££'s my 2nd Wife Cost Me to the Nearest £100,000"?

Oh crap. Can't use that now can I...:shrug:

Rune

Supporter
I have no problem that this tread was moved. I know that I never should open a zip from unknown, but my computer is also used by others in my family, so it could come in that way. The company that restored my computer wanted to pay (for their own money) just to see if it was possible to get it opened, but they ended up in russia with everything on russian first try then they ended up in the middle east and no way to pay. so I still have a crypted hard drive just waiting for someone out there to decrypt the new CTB locker.

Keith

I just attended a seminar a while ago regarding information security and this virus was mentioned.

Hello. Please take note of rule 2. Your public 'handle' style is not acceptable. Log in and navigate to your Control Panel and change it to your real name.

Thank you...

Back